PDA

View Full Version : Brown Thrasher

AgentOrange
03-23-2021, 03:59 PM
Many of my Bird friends have already migrated away. I will see them again in the Fall.
Some never leave me. From the porch today is a Brown Thrasher. He and his kin have been a constant here for 20 years. Some say he is hard to get a peek at, but not here. Here he is more like a yard chicken.

He comes to the suet feeder some, but most times prefers to dig in the leaves. He also likes my peanuts, will take them in the shell.
He loves to dance about, loves to sing and does imitations.

After digging out some bugs, took a bath in my Branch. After that he is all water logged. No matter as he is as happy running about as flying.

AgentOrange
03-23-2021, 04:50 PM
Not to be out done, a Hermit Thrush just popped up at the Branch.
In Winter folks sometimes confuse the two as their habits are similar.
The Thrush will soon be leaving me. That makes me sad, but he will return in Fall as my yard has millions of berries.

Kinda sad is that old guy at the top. This area had millions of Pine Siskin this Winter. Most have now migrated. A few like this guy are too old to make the trip. He has good food and clean water here. Us old guys support each other.

AgentOrange
03-23-2021, 05:51 PM
In line with my last posts, here is another ground bird who showed today.
I have a million better photos as he and his kin were here 20 years ago when I arrived. I don't have a lot of photos of him in a tree as he prefers being on the ground.

This guy is now known as the 'Eastern Towhee'. It used to be called by me and all --> 'Rufous-Sided Towhee'. I can't name the birds too well, will leave that to others. I know my friends, and this is 'Sam'.
From the Wiki -- "Most species tend to avoid humans, so they are not well known". That aint true in my yard.