PDA

View Full Version : One way to set up a pond

AgentOrange
05-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I just ran across a garden pond calculator. one of mine is 10X15 foot with water 40 inches. That is about 4000 gallons. The calculator says I can keep up to 15 five inch fish. I agree with that.
BUT - I have about 30 large, fat gold fish bigger than 5 inches. I have not bought one since the 90's but they multiply. I have given many away, none ever die. About 5 years ago I got 6 small Koi. Now they are big. Four of them are about the size of a German U-Boat. They are huge , I would guess in the 3-4 pound range.
Throw in a few turtles, a couple Bull Frogs and my POND should be on "death watch".
It is not, but it is over stocked.

The pond is crystal clear and all the critters are thriving (and reproducing). Their main diet is the big bags of food from Tractor Supply people buy for CatFish farms. It is cheap, but works really well in my yard. I throw in lettuce when it is in season here in the yard. The Koi and turtles love their greens.

It is about time for me to re-install their bug light. I have a big UV zapper I mount over the end of the pond in Summer. It gives me a light on the pond, and zaps the bugs. I took off the bottom and the bugs fall into the water. At night, the fish, turtles and frogs mob under the light. There are "a lot" of bugs here, and I actually believe this light would be enough to feed them all. The frogs grab some before they are zapped. It is interesting and apparently nutritious for all as all are fat and healthy.

Still, I have a critter overload as to the calculator, and I do agree. I think my pond remains healthy because of my YardCrap filter system. You can buy filters, but they are too small, or too expensive to maintain a 4000 gal pond. Having been in the aquatic critter keeping hobby longer than most of the so called experts have been alive, built my own. I always have, just made this one bigger. The one that runs my Aquarium is home made and overkill. There is no need to pay big $$ for something so simple.
You need aeration, and a nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle breaks down the critter crap into harmless dirt/crap. In Nature, the plants eat the dirt/crap.

Instead of the bottom drain all the "experts" claim you must have, I put in a spillway made with a 6 inch PVC pipe. A bottom drain sucks your small critters off. If you put a screen over it, it clogs constantly. I don't use them, but guess they would be OK if you don't keep small critters. At any rate, they are far from "must have". My "stand pipe" sucks water off the top of the pond. That keeps the surface water clean and in case of a pump problem, the lowest my water can go is full pond. If we get 12 inches of rain in an hour, the highest my pond can go is full pond. That sucking water off the top makes a pond look good. There is no need to pay big bucks for a skimmer if you built it in with a $5 piece of PVC.

The 'stand pipe' accepts water from the surface and it flows to a 100 gallon tub I dug in behind the pond out of sight. As the water falls into the 'stand pipe' and then into the tub, it is aerated. (very important). In the tub are two pumps. One is inside a plastic container used to put out recycled crap on the curb. (I recycled the container). I put the pump in, and packed it with plastic bio balls. These things work well if you use enough of them. They can be found at a decent price on ebay. (you want the large one s for out doors) They also keep the pump from clogging. "EXPERTS" make fun of them to sell you what they offer.
This pump pushes water from the tub to the bottom front of the pond with a cheap PVC line I put in. The water rushes out along the bottom of the pond to give circulation and not allow dead spots. (this is important) This pump runs all year, 24/7. To the eye it is invisible. This pump is not to impress with waterfalls and crap - it does the work and is not for visual effect. It is much more effective for a "critter keeper" than a bottom drain. It will never drain the pond and kill your critters. Simple physics mean a lot in working with water. You can make it work with you, or fight it. Fighting it costs more and does not work as well.

Also in my tub is a second pump. This one pumps water to a second 100 gallon tub I have mounted higher than the pond. That tub is filled with bio balls. (laugh if you choose, but I have years of experience to show they work if you buy enough) This pump is cut off in Winter when the temp drops to 50 degrees as the nitrogen cycle is useless then. Also, no need to feed anybody much then. The turtles don't eat at all. The water flows with gravity through what I call my "Spring House" to "water fall" into the pond. All this adds to Summer aeration. Oxygen runs the nitrogen cycle and the critters need it in the water. This system keeps the pond at O2 MAX.

The result is years of enjoying a clean, healthy pond. This filter system is over kill, and apparently can support a lot of critters. Besides working, it cost a hell of a lot less than what "experts" have to sell you. You might not need this same system if you have less Than 4000 gallons or don't have Koi that are too big for the Eagles around here to carry off. In my 220 gal Frog pond, just need a small pump and a simple box to keep it from clogging. Every Pond is different. The needs for every pond never change and there are NO miracle products. If you just remember one thing from this - "There are no miracle products"

There is always more as you fine tune anything. Many of my audiophile friends swear by funny feet or a plant positioned just right.
I fine tune.
My pond is filled with water plants. Those guys eat the critter crap. Water plants grow like crazy and you never have to water them. My pond is shaded. I have cut back tree limbs as much as I can to keep some Sun coming in for the Turtles, but it is shaded most of the day. Also, between the Summer Pump and the tub I have a UV light hooked in to kill things like paracites and free floating algea. I plug it in about 4 months a year.

Maintenance amounts to cleaning the bio balls. I do it before Spring. I take a wheel barrow load and hit them with the high pressure hose. It takes about an hour a year.
If you ever decide to put in a pond of ANY size, plan a little more, and spend a little more effort and money at that point. If you don't, you will waste your money and end up with the cess pool your friends have. All ponds are different because of needs and environment. Contact me with your plans and I will give you my thoughts. (you could also contact the other "experts" here I guess :wink-new:)

My garden ponds entertain me to no end - kinda like my Beagle. I recommend acquiring both. My smallest pond was just re-activated. It is a big 3 gallon pot my Bride gave me a few years back. It is on the deck with a water plant. In a couple weeks, I will put up a photo and many will be amazed. Water plants grow like crazy and upkeep is near zero.

Douglas
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
WoW Bill! What a wonderful source of information you are! I doubt we'll put one in this year, but maybe get started in the Winter-Spring. I'll be pestering you a lot when we get started. :D

TNRabbit R.I.P.
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I'd love to do one similar to yours someday, Bill. Don't have the time or money (or good location, really) right now.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
05-24-2012, 10:48 PM
......My smallest pond was just re-activated. It is a big 3 gallon pot my Bride gave me a few years back. It is on the deck with a water plant. In a couple weeks, I will put up a photo and many will be amazed. Water plants grow like crazy and upkeep is near zero.

It's been a couple weeks.....where's that photo?

Martin
05-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Great read. Pics or links to pics? Kinda understand what you're doing, but would love to see the workings of it.

AgentOrange
05-26-2012, 02:53 PM
It's been a couple weeks.....where's that photo?

Here it is yesterday. I say yesterday because many water pants grow very fast. This one is not in the full Sun it would prefer, but growing quite nicely. It will soon flower. It will also grow a hell of a lot bigger if I don't trim it. Water plants are good for a hot Sunny deck. It is near impossible to keep normal container plants watered in that situation unless you water everyday. Some need twice a day, and who has time for that?

Put a water plant (many to choose from) in a pot, stick it in a bigger pot that does not leak and fill it with water. Then you only have to fill the pot every couple weeks or less. You don't need much dirt, so a small inside pot is good. In this one I have the inside pot sitting on two bricks.
I add a "little" bit of blue fertilizer (Mirical Grow) and that is it. Some pots will need a very small air pump ($10) if you have too much fertilizer in the dirt or water to keep it all aerobic. If it smells, add a pump, the electricity is about 5 watts, so not a deal breaker. I have used this pot for the last years to grow different things in my CatBird house, but this year have it out on the deck as I have a fire pit in that spot now. Many plants other than water plants will do well in a pot like this. Anything that likes wet feet will be very happy, and that covers a lot of plants.

You might call this "lazy gardening". I call it "successful gardening". :highly_amused:

sppixley
05-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Bill, read the thread and see you already answered my Koi Pond question

AgentOrange
06-19-2014, 07:36 PM
I have been lax in keeping up my 4000 gallon pond and been working on that.
The water is healthy, but not as clear as I like. It is 40 inches deep and I can't see the bottom. That is my lazy fault:untroubled:.

This week end (?) I will pull down the 100 Gallon tub I use as a gravity filter. It is filled 1/2 with bio balls that will now be mired in good clean mud. Cleaning those balls is hard work, but I only do it once a year, and did not do it in Spring when I should have, so now will have to do it at 90+degrees as I am not an early riser.

I am thinking upgrade as the 6 tiny 6-inch KOI I got a few years back are now around 10 pounds and the gold fish continue to multiply. The bio load on the pond has increased.

I ran across a large pressure filter for ponds like I have used inside for 40 years.
Never used these outside as they are just too small. This one is rated for 4000 gallons, but it could never handle that. As an addition to my time proven homemade system, it might add a lot as to mechanical filtration which I could use more of right now. it is quite big, I'll take some photos when I get it in.

This week I am running it not with the included material, but filled with filter floss (huge bags are cheap at Walmart in the hobby section for stuffing pillows). It is just sitting on the deck. I have a 900GPH pump on it at 2 foot head and just emptied after 2 days and it was packed with dirt. I was impressed. Later I will put a 4000gph on it which by the time it goes through the UV light and 6 foot to the gravity tub will discharge maybe 2000 gallons or less.

I am going to add that inline to the gravity fed tub and and replace the pump with a bigger one. The problem with a pressure filter is constant maintenance/work which I avoid. This one is big, and has a 2 minute reverse flow cleaning that folks in reviews claim kinda works. I already have a UV light in that line, so got the filter with out that addition as it is much, much cheaper. UV lights work well for algae control, but I have no algae to mention as I have the one light plus lots of plants and the right amount of shade.

I shut this line down in Winter, but the other bigger pump works year round and pumps water to the front floor of the pond for necessary circulation and is housed in a 150 gallon tub. I have that pump in a crate packed with bio balls so it also works as a biological filter. When the pond falls below 50degrees, biological filters do not work. As a plus, the fish don't eat much then so it evens out.

Back on the topic of my day --> I will clean the gravity filter/tub and add in the pressure filter in the next few days with a larger pump.

Don't get me wrong, my pond water is excellent. I intend to keep it that way and even improve it. In fact if there is a problem it is the fish are too happy and keep growing.

AgentOrange
08-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I added a waterfall tub that the new filter pumps into from the bottom. That gave me lots of additional room for media.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016G067O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This additional filter system has exceeded my expectations. The first couple weeks, had to replace the filter floss a few times until it leveled off. That is an easy chore.

I found some different density (course to fine) reusable pads and cut them to fit the waterfall. These should last a few years and are easy to hose off.

The pond water is now as clear as air.
Also, the additional bio material now in the filter will have good effect as to fish health.