PDA

View Full Version : Dug this up today.....

TNRabbit R.I.P.
04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
.....cleaning up a bunch of old logs/leaves.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TNRabbit/Around%20the%20House/Wildlife/2012-04-02_17-07-59_614.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TNRabbit/Around%20the%20House/Wildlife/2012-04-02_17-07-52_132.jpg

Scared the shit out of me because I had flipped a log over & didn't notice him right away. I was stepping all around him. Good thing he wasn't up to temp or he'd have nailed me. I killed him as there were about a dozen kids playing nearby & didn't have a good spot to release him anywhere distant. I don't usually like to kill snakes, but I didn't want to take a chance with a Copperhead.

Douglas
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
WoW! You were lucky it was not warmer. He'd have gotten you for sure! The Copperhead snake can be very aggressive, and the venom is some bad stuff.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
04-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I can't believe AO hasn't commented on this....

AgentOrange
04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Unknown to most, the most snake bites in America are in NC. The state as a whole is mostly clean, but up here in the Blue Ridge where NC and SC meet, WTF ?

We have huge rattlers here, no Water Moccasin.

WM are the only snake I fear, and none are none here.

Most people are bitten buy Copper Head. They are common and dangerous. They are lazy snakes and don't run. Gardeners are bitten just doing their hobby in the flower bed.

They are not aggressive, so look where you put your hand. I hate them and kill all I see as I have curious pets I love. A person will experience a lot of pain for weeks but will survive. Pets - not so much.

Many, many are bitten because they fuck with them for no reason other than they are idiots.

I see them, I kill them.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
04-04-2012, 04:09 AM
Water Moccasins (Cottonmouth) are pure evil. They are the most ornery, pissed off snake I've ever come across. Best avoided completely....

Douglas
04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Years ago, in the Mountains of VA, my employer was coming back to the office after lunch when he got on the radio and said there was a 6' copperhead in his garage. Most know copperheads are only about 3' long. I sent one of the boys up to handle the situation, and when he got there said on the radio, "yep, a 6' copperhead!" He came back down to the barn area, with the snake he had killed in the bed of the PU. Funny thing was it had a head on each end! Turns out, what appeared to be a 6' copperhead was actually 2 copperheads mating! We all got a laugh out of that. The Boss could have been bitten very badly if they were not locked in the mating ritual! He had stepped within a foot of them when he got into his vehicle.