PDA

View Full Version : FRIENDS

AgentOrange
03-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Spring is here.
I am fairly sure we cannot be friends until your Hummingbird feeder is out to welcome in the hungry critters.

Tony Presley R.I.P
03-21-2018, 02:20 PM
I am putting out my first feeder today. When I spot my first Hummer, I will add another and so on.

By the way, I am making my first Peanut Butter suet substitute this afternoon using your recipe!

AgentOrange
03-21-2018, 03:01 PM
I am putting out my first feeder today. When I spot my first Hummer, I will add another and so on.

By the way, I am making my first Peanut Butter suet substitute this afternoon using your recipe!

I too will soon need to mix up some. My recipe keeps changing. I now use mostly just peanut butter and cornmeal. Melt the peanut butter in the microwave and then stir in cornmeal until thick.
It does need to be a little thicker for Summer so flower is good.

Nothing is as attractive for many birds as an insect substitute. I can't pay my birds to eat that store bought crap.

Tony Presley R.I.P
03-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Well, I put out my first sample of Peanut butter cake. Within 30 minutes I have had visits from Black-capped Chickadees, Downey Woodpeckers, House finch, and a Cardinal. I think I will put more cornmeal in the next batch since it is a little oily.

I bought a 4 lb jar of PNB at Walmart for $4.68. It looks like it will make quite a bit of fake suet. It will end up being cheaper than the store bought suet and they seem to like it better. People learn stuff on Yard Crap! Thanks!

Tony Presley R.I.P
03-23-2018, 09:51 AM
I too will soon need to mix up some. My recipe keeps changing. I now use mostly just peanut butter and cornmeal. Melt the peanut butter in the microwave and then stir in cornmeal until thick.
It does need to be a little thicker for Summer so flower is good.

Nothing is as attractive for many birds as an insect substitute. I can't pay my birds to eat that store bought crap.

This little fella just keeps coming back for more peanut butter recipe! Can you ID it? I thought immature gold finch or pine warbler. He is very small.

AgentOrange
03-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Ruby-crowned Kinglet -
Also in our area this time of year is the Golden-crowned Kinglet.
These little birds love the mix and get kinda tame. Mike and Chuck got to see one when they were over.

They glean bugs off tree branches and are hard to see from the ground. They will also come down for water.

Tony Presley R.I.P
03-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Ruby-crowned Kinglet -
Also in our area this time of year is the Golden-crowned Kinglet.
These little birds love the mix and get kinda tame. Mike and Chuck got to see one when they were over.

They glean bugs off tree branches and are hard to see from the ground. They will also come down for water.

Thanks! It is a neat little bird!

AgentOrange
03-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Here he is 5 foot away - hard for my lens to focus that close.

At some angles a spot of color on the crown of the head can be seen. I have some photos of the ruby and golden with it showing, even both in one photo , but too lazy to look them up right now.
The only other bird we have as small is the Brown-headed Nut Hatch who also loves this suet mix.

At my house most of it is eaten by the Red-bellied Woodpecker. They only come to my bedroom window, not here on the porch. After eggs hatch they will carry it off in chunks, and soon will bring the fledglings by to teach them to eat it. This has been going on for 15 years. My cats go wild at the window as this bird always calls out a challenge as he arrives.

On the porch, the Downy eats all year.

About the only common feeder birds who never eat it is the Dove, Gold Finch, and Purple Finch. The House Finch does.

AgentOrange
03-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Put this up on the YC Bird page.
I have been lax as to updating there:hopelessness:.
If need be, just have your lawyers contact my lawyers and it might be removed.

http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap_birds/2018/03/nature-guy.html

Tony Presley R.I.P
03-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Put this up on the YC Bird page.
I have been lax as to updating there:hopelessness:.
If need be, just have your lawyers contact my lawyers and it might be removed.

http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap_birds/2018/03/nature-guy.html

Nice post Bill!