PDA

View Full Version : YardCrap Recommended Plant

AgentOrange
03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
All Winter the birds have been eating on the Pyracantha berries. Right on time, the Cedar Wax Wings arrived a week ago. They finished them up this this morning. It is amazing to watch them work.

I spent the last couple hours cutting them back some. They have thorns, and I am full of punctures now. They make a great yard bush as they grow fast, require no work but trimming back what you don't want. They would make an excellent yard border as the thorns would keep out all the neighbors. In Sunshine, they can put out ten foot branches in a year, so keep that in mind when planting. You might see it labeled as "Firethorn" at the plant shop. They don't cost much and no need to buy a big one as they grow quickly. My little dog also eats the berries. They are not poisonous. In fact you can google and find recipes for jelly. They put out a million tiny flowers in Spring and the Bees flock in. You can trim it as a bush, a tree, or even a 20 foot vine. Here is one trimmed to a trellis I found on the web.

I have two types, an orange berry and a red berry. The orange must ripen fist as they are the first eaten. In my yard, Thrush, Thrashers, Cardinals, Mocking Birds, Towhees, and Titmouse spend the Winter eating them. Then in Spring the flocks of Robins and Wax Wings clean them out in a few days. We are not talking a few berries like a holly, but millions -> adds great Winter color.

Here is one someone trimmed to a hedge. Like most of my yard, I just let mine grow as they choose and cut them back as they bother me.

Give this plant a try.

Kingman, a few of these along your yard by the creek would really light up your back yard. You could just stick them in and forget them. No trimming, no fertilizer, just a nice bird friendly barrier.

elgrau
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM
And the gayest post of the day goes to....AO!
:indecisiveness::tickled_pink:

AgentOrange
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM
And the gayest post of the day goes to....AO!
:indecisiveness::tickled_pink:

Thanks Ed.
For 30 years I lived in the city and did nothing with my postage stamp yard but keep up a good lawn so as to fit in.

I moved back home to SC with finally a little time on my hands went -> "GAY"? I was not an rich Boeing engineer, and often worked 2 or 3 jobs a day. It was not a problem, just normal life.
Now my large yard has no grass, looks like crap to the neighbors and visitors, but it is a source of never ending amazement to me.

I like to keep it as "wild" as I can. Not "natural", but with many different plants (kill most). I know it looks like YardCrap to most, but not to me.
I also went back to school at Clemson and took garden classes. I don't know about all plants, but I learned the basics and how to research things. Hell, we spent 12 years just on soil (dirt).

I keep putting it off, but this year I am joining the Senior citizen "shag" courses as a neighbor tells me there are some hot widows there.

As you know, I don't give up the word "gay" to homos or any of the colors. I am a gay guy today with a lavender shirt on I won in a foot race.

I do enjoy my garden.

SteveLeopard
03-26-2012, 07:21 PM
pyracantha are one of my favorite plants!

SteveLeopard
03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
How about not using words ;ike gay that lable people? Even in jest. It adds nothing to the conversation

AgentOrange
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
How about not using words ;ike gay that lable people? Even in jest. It adds nothing to the conversation

I disagree ---

I am a happy guy. I am a "GAY" guy.

If me being happy or expressing it as feeling "gay" bothers some - ---

--go fuck yourself!

kingman R.I.P.
03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Kingman, a few of these along your yard by the creek would really light up your back yard. You could just stick them in and forget them. No trimming, no fertilizer, just a nice bird friendly barrier. That would look nice...do you buy these from a nursery or steal them from your neighbors???? :pirate:

Douglas
03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
You and I both remember when "gay" meant you were happy!

Douglas
03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
The fire bush does look nice, but my wife brought up a good point when I was telling her about it. What about the bird crap? Do the berries turn the birds poop red or orange, like it turns purple when they eat mulberries?

AgentOrange
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
That would look nice...do you buy these from a nursery or steal them from your neighbors???? :pirate:

For a Wendy thing with fries, I could show up with a few plants and help you put them in..

AgentOrange
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
All Winter the birds have been eating on the Pyracantha berries. Right on time, the Cedar Wax Wings arrived a week ago. They finished them up this this morning. It is amazing to watch them work.

I spent the last couple hours cutting them back some. They have thorns, and I am full of punctures now. They make a great yard bush as they grow fast, require no work but trimming back what you don't want. They would make an excellent yard border as the thorns would keep out all the neighbors. In Sunshine, they can put out ten foot branches in a year, so keep that in mind when planting. You might see it labeled as "Firethorn" at the plant shop. They don't cost much and no need to buy a big one as they grow quickly. My little dog also eats the berries. They are not poisonous. In fact you can google and find recipes for jelly. They put out a million tiny flowers in Spring and the Bees flock in. You can trim it as a bush, a tree, or even a 20 foot vine. Here is one trimmed to a trellis I found on the web.

I have two types, an orange berry and a red berry. The orange must ripen fist as they are the first eaten. In my yard, Thrush, Thrashers, Cardinals, Mocking Birds, Towhees, and Titmouse spend the Winter eating them. Then in Spring the flocks of Robins and Wax Wings clean them out in a few days. We are not talking a few berries like a holly, but millions -> adds great Winter color.

Here is one someone trimmed to a hedge. Like most of my yard, I just let mine grow as they choose and cut them back as they bother me.

Give this plant a try.

Kingman, a few of these along your yard by the creek would really light up your back yard. You could just stick them in and forget them. No trimming, no fertilizer, just a nice bird friendly barrier.

Here is a photo of the plants now with flowers on it. That is a fig tree off to the left putting on leaves (good eating). This is just a couple and they wrap the drive side of my round house.

Corky
06-22-2013, 12:02 AM
AO, love to read your talk about plants and natural yards. I love nature and have fields surrounding my house and cedar trees and everything from buttercups to poke salad. I do have grass but love the woods as my cottage sits right at the woods. Jerry and I try to ID each plant some folks might call them weeds but not to me. Love to see insects and find butterflies. Love to watch them, Have A garden spider every season and I watch them. I used to be so scared of spiders and I remember when I was little that Roger and Steve would get your encyclopedia and look up spider and chase me around making me look at it. I would cry and they would chase me out of your house. But I conquered that fear. Do you remember the two china berry trees at Grandmas. And throwing those berries at each other when they were green? How about climbing your mulberry tree and eating the heck out of those berries? Thanks for the memories AO.

kingman R.I.P.
06-22-2013, 12:24 PM
I keep putting it off, but this year I am joining the Senior citizen "shag" courses as a neighbor tells me there are some hot widows there.

Kay may have a few things to say bout' that....

AgentOrange
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
AO, love to read your talk about plants and natural yards. I love nature and have fields surrounding my house and cedar trees and everything from buttercups to poke salad. I do have grass but love the woods as my cottage sits right at the woods. Jerry and I try to ID each plant some folks might call them weeds but not to me. Love to see insects and find butterflies. Love to watch them, Have A garden spider every season and I watch them. I used to be so scared of spiders and I remember when I was little that Roger and Steve would get your encyclopedia and look up spider and chase me around making me look at it. I would cry and they would chase me out of your house. But I conquered that fear. Do you remember the two china berry trees at Grandmas. And throwing those berries at each other when they were green? How about climbing your mulberry tree and eating the heck out of those berries? Thanks for the memories AO.

Corky, you are a big reason I am who I am.
I was collecting Super Hero comics and you were letting me visit and read Little LuLu and Uncle Scrooge. You had those cool plastic sheets that covered a TV screen so one could draw on a bridge to save Tom Terrific or do the Winky Dink thing. You had the box of crayons with 64 colors and I had just had 8.
We were quite a pair. I have many memories of us. You have no memories of me scaring you with a spider as we were friends. I suspect my association with you is why later on in high school, girls liked to hang with me. I was quite popular with the Ladies. I really like girls and not just for the obvious reasons. Hanging with you gave me that.