PDA

View Full Version : Mike Weather

AgentOrange
07-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Mike, just noticed on my weather station map that your town is there.
The current coditions will be at my house, might still be OK for yours. My weather station u8pdates every two minutes to the web.

On the wep page I put up, is the current radar and covers your place.
You can see these Summer storms before they hit you so you know when not to run.

http://tugalooriver.com

Mike Kelly
07-24-2017, 10:14 PM
We had one hellavu Storm yesterday around 6:00 pm. Wind lightning, rain. Probably came your. Been doing all my running in mornings around 6:15 am. Prefer afternoon runs, but with work and all, that's hopeless. Will check out the site. Thanks.

elgrau
07-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Mike wrote: "Wind, lightning, rain. "

Growing up in Ohio I very much enjoy(ed) one of those (thunder via the lightning); the other two, not so much. We had a lot of summer thunder storms and I miss thunder a bunch out here in SoCal as it is as rare as hen's teeth here. Kind of "God's classical music"! :eagerness:

Mike Kelly
07-26-2017, 07:21 PM
We get some serious lightning here in ga sometimes. It is not good for electronics or anything with a circuit board. We lose a house in our area every year to lightning. I respect it a lot. I still want to crawl back under the bed and hide, but tough it out so my bride won't think I'm a wimp. I agree that it is beautiful to watch from a distance.

Chuck Farley
07-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Years ago, my wife and another couple had gone to dinner at the Sea Captain's House in Myrtle Beach. They have a big dining room with windows all around facing the ocean. We had ordered dinner and could see there was a storm coming up. Right after we were served, the storm intensified. Thunder and serious lightening all around at sea. Then the power went out. Fortunately for us, we were set with dinner and enjoyed the show as we ate. Not so fortunate for those who didn't get their dinners. This discussion about lightning brought back that memory.

elgrau
07-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Yeah; thunder and lightning are of course one and the same (the light just gets to your eyes ~instantaneously, whereas the sound requires several seconds to reach your ears - depending on how far away the lightning strike was). I've always enjoyed the "thunderous sound" but very much feared the lightning and high winds that come with some thunder storms.

Lightning strikes are statistically speaking usually miles from one's specific location (and you thus hear the thunder a few seconds later..), but everyone has usually experienced a nearby strike: my BR was on the 2nd floor and north end of our farmhouse when I was growing up in Ohio and one night a huge bolt of lightning struck a large pear tree that was about 40' from my BR window. It split this large tree in half and I still remember the huge boom that jolted me awake. My friend a few farms away told me that he witnessed a ball of lightning that traveled along their phone line and knocked him on his ass while he talked on the phone. Scary stuff lightning be! Ditto high winds... But thunder per say never hurt anyone and it's awesome to hear!

Mike Kelly
07-27-2017, 06:50 PM
We are having a nice thunder/rain here right now. The kind you can sleep through. Nothing serious or to worry about. Nice! Can be verified by the Yard Crap weather station. Maybe coming your way Bill.

Mike Kelly
08-06-2017, 06:42 PM
AO, raining like hell at my station at 6:42 am. Get ready, coming you way.

Mike Kelly
09-10-2017, 10:10 PM
News media on Hurricane Irma causing local school system to shut down on Monday. Local gas at Ingles sold out Friday and again on Saturday. Sold out of bottled water also. Supposedly, we are to get some rain and some wind. Beautiful sunset this evening. Sailors motto "Red sky at night, sailors delight". "Red sky at morning, sailor take warning". Lake Hartwell may not benefit after all.

Mike Kelly
09-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Irma's winds are in Habersham now with rain. Schools here have already announced closure again for Tuesday. Still have lights for now, but will bet not for long. Wind gust up to about 45 mph maybe higher. Will try to divert water to Lake Hartwell. Not a good day for an outdoor run.

Mike Kelly
09-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Lost power at 7:59 last night. 80% of County without power this morning. EMC stated may be couple of days before restored. Lots of trees down on roads and power lines. Sheriff said stay home. No damage here, just lots of debris. Cooked camp stove coffee this morning and camp stove fajitas for lunch. Life is good for us, not so good for others in Irma's path. Cleaning up between rain showers.

Mike Kelly
12-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Current conditions at 7:07 PM indicates 4.25 inches snow accumulation on weather deck as determined by bride using a wooden 12 inch ruler, temp is 32.5 degrees F, with snow still falling. Storm warning issued by NWS. RoadKill Christmas Blues playing on High Fidelity Stereo. All is well!

Mike Kelly
12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Wooden ruler used was from Habersham County Sheriff's Dept. They were given to elementary students at school. Bride is a teacher and took one home. Ruler may be stolen property. Anyway since ruler came from Law Enforcement, measurement was accurate.

Mike Kelly
12-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Snow measurement taken by my weather woman this morning indicated 5.59 inches of snow. current temp is 33.1 degrees F. Winter storm warning to expire at 12:00 noon here. Still snowing. Delayed opening at work this morning. Some without power. We have power. Very beautiful and picturesque snow! ☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃

AgentOrange
12-09-2017, 12:20 PM
I got some too. It was unexpected.
On the porch now and temp is up to 37. It is melting away.
My birds are very active. The Cardinals really stand out against the white background. The cats are not happy.