PDA

View Full Version : Swainson's Warbler

AgentOrange
08-08-2016, 12:51 PM
I was laying on my fat ass watching my birds out the bedroom window. I have a dense growth of privet there that the birds use to raid my window feeder.

I saw a new bird, did not know it. I could see it plainly, but had no camera. A search through my bird books found it.

Swainson’s warbler is a migratory species which breeds in the south-eastern United States and winters in Central America and the Caribbean.

One of the most secretive and least observed of all North American birds, the Swainson's Warbler is a skulking bird of the southern canebrakes and rhododendron thickets. If it weren't for its loud, ringing song, the presence of the species in many areas would go completely undetected.

Breeds in southern forests with thick undergrowth, especially canebrakes and floodplain forests in lowlands and rhododendron-mountain laurel in Appalachians.

I saw this recent article in the news as I googled it:

http://nypost.com/2016/04/28/this-little-guy-had-bird-watchers-freaking-out-in-central-park/

“This is a bird that makes you drop all of your plans,” Bate, who is president of the Brooklyn Bird Club, told The Post. “It’s another ‘birders are losing their s–t’ moment.”

This is the first new bird I have seen in just over one year, so I am quite happy. I have not seen it since, but I suspect I will, so keeping a camera at the bed now.