PDA

View Full Version : Night Lights

AgentOrange
02-20-2016, 08:10 PM
None of the below is scientific, just my observations over 15 years.

Sitting in the dark I can see I need to work on my outdoor garden lighting. I like to sit on the deck after dark, especially in Summer as the yard is very active with critters then. Hell, it is pitch black tonight in Feb, and I am out here playing Allison Krause when most are inside watching some stupid crap on TV.:glee:

The good thing is things have changed. In "the day" it was "low voltage" 12 volt things. I got a lot of that, most of it presently burned out.

LEDs hit the scene some time back. The cost was high but the power savings were good.
Then came low watt florescent. I use those.

At this point, LEDs have improved in brightness and cost. I have a few 12 volt transformers, but to be honest, new LEDs will run 12 volt DC or 110 AC. They don't know:gorilla:. The AC is brighter, and the cost to run either is not more.
Buying transformers went out with the Fluorescent 15 volt bulbs a few years back.
Led is now powerful and also and needs less rain protection than Fluorescent.

Solar is still not much of an option unless you add a real battery bank. Not enough Sun in my yard to invest in it. I do use it for a couple "security/safety lights" but those are motion activated, and don't burn all the time. For that you need the cost/upkeep of a real battery bank. I have 100% Sun on the dock and every night my dock lights burn brightly all night and recharge the next day. It can go a week with no Sun.

I don't want bright lights off my CatBird seat:offended:. The lights need to kinda blend in. All I want is a warm glow in the right places that lets me see the frogs and coons. For that, many well placed low volt lights is key.