PDA

View Full Version : Spring Migration

AgentOrange
03-27-2015, 05:24 PM
I will go out on a limb and suggest no one wants to play Spring Migration like we did Fall Migration. I had good fun, hope someone did also. I had hoped for a repeat with April, May. June, but WTF? I entertain me:joyous:.

I don't suspect I will be headed out to the coast on my Harley with one eye for it as my depth perception is really bad:stupid:.
I could probably make it in the Jeep, but will wait and go again next year. Simple fun is the best fun!!

Birds will migrate by my yard (and yours) also. The coast is amazing though. Even after dark you can hear them as thousands pass over. THOUSANDS!!! It is as amazing as anything I know of to experience.

Flyways are the deal. Birds use "magic" including sight to travel. Big flyways on the right half of the USA are the Atlantic Coast, the Blue Ridge Mts, and the Mississippi River.

I live on a minor flyway:glee:. As some pass Tybee Island, they hang a left up the Savannah River.
That goes from the ocean to the mountains and is the border between Georgia and South Carolina. I live on it. Right now on the porch can see across the river to Georgia, but no migrants -- yet!

The deal of birds just picking up and leaving where they have been happy for months boggles my mind.
Huge birds like Geese and Hawks, and tiny like Hummingbirds, just head out. They take on a journey of thousands of miles. The courage of it brings tears to my eyes. They fly on today and day after day fueled by hope and faith.

Some will make it back to where they spent last Summer. Many will be slaughtered by things like algore wind mills:mad-new::mad-new:.

It is not just about "flyways".
"Magic" is a big part.

The very bird who spent last Summer with you is doing all he can possibly do to get back to "your" yard. He will not be a foot off and will seek to nest in exact ally the same spot.
A Hummingbird will arrive at the same spot the feeder was last year, and nest in the same tree.

The courage of it all is ----

AgentOrange
03-27-2015, 05:37 PM
I watch birds.
Right now there is a big fluffy one a few feet away. He is too old to be spooked.
I know what he is about.

He has seen his last completed migration. Soon he will lift off, but he will not arrive.

Here on the porch he has a variety of good food and water. If he would just stay with me, he might make it through the Summer. He will not. Being nearer the grave myself, I identify with him. I would do most anything to help him, but my options are limited.

This week I have a small Hawk hunting the yard. His favorites are guys like this slow bird.