PDA

View Full Version : Spring Pond Cleaning

AgentOrange
03-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I cleaned my 125 gallon branch pond today. Water Lillie were already breaking surface and my mucking around set that back a week. I just drain it and start fresh as its main job is to provide water for the Branch birds to bathe in. I'll also raise a lot of frogs there again this year:stung:.

(from last fall)

Here is my Fish pond from last Fall:

It is time for me to "Spring" clean there. It is 4000 gallons and I will need my waders:monkey:.
It is crystal clear at the moment and the islands are looking good already. That is a Painted Fern (planted itself) and does not go completely dormant in Winter, just reds up like a Nadina. The temp is 58.8. As that rises, I will need to add the other filter back, add the big pump, and maybe the UV light. I don't think the UV will be needed. Soon the trees will leave out and then this pond is mostly shaded. Two types of algae --> free floating (bad) and string (good). String is outa luck with all these hungry fish. I never have have much problem with free floating.

This pond is about ten years old, so I guess I am doing some things right?
http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.php?1438-How-To-Build-A-Pond-the-right-way
I mostly disagree and laugh at the 'expert' advice on the web which is just people quoting people until all believe it is a fact:acne:.

The fish never die, have not added one in ten years. The Gold Fish replace themselves and the 6 Koi just keep growing, must be ten pounds! They are huge, no Heron is a threat to them, maybe an Eagle. They started at about 4 inches and are now as tame as pets.

The plants in the front are growing on solid rock, no dirt:devilish:. I piled rocks there, and any dirt there is just years of dust settling. I have never planted anything there. As a gardener that amazes me. Nature has a plan and does it well, lots better than me. Most times my job is just keep the hell out of the way.