PDA

View Full Version : BACKYARD BIRD CONTEST

AgentOrange
09-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Got to thinking on "Bird Books".

I have a few:adoration:. Over the years they kinda collected as people gave them to me, and I also bought one from time to time. Bird books are fun.

Birding is a cheap hobby, but one I have enjoyed more than the many others I have.
Maybe because it requires little work, just sit on the porch with a bottle of cold beer, maybe throw out some seed.

My first book obtained was "Peterson's" on the advice of a friend (member here). I have later copies of it, but this first remains my favorite. That is because it is beat up, and I don't have to worry about it. It stays on the porch with the rain and snow. I have written on the pages and marked it up here and there with notes over a couple decades of use. I know every page, and which pages to hunt down whoever. I use it all the time. It is valuable/priceless -> to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Field-Guides-Eastern-Edition/dp/039526619X/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1411061060&sr=8-12&keywords=petersons+bird
I have other field guides and use them also to verify what I see. Some use photos and some use drawings. These days the internet is a wonderful source of information. It cannot replace a good book, but adds endless info and photos and even sounds.

In 2001, my Bride gave me a Cornell Bird Diary for Christmas. I don't keep a "LIFE LIST" as do many of my friends, but I do keep a list of the birds I have seen here in my backyard along with notes. My count is over a hundred. There would be more, but I don't "cheat" me:tongue-new:. If I am not sure, I let it go until I am. I try to also get some type of photo which can be impossible as some are just passing by for a moment. I live on a minor "flyway" along the Blue Ridge and so Fall and Spring can bring most anyone by for refueling.

My brother is pissed at me for taking back his "YC decoder ring" until he abides by the rules:devilish:. So I thought I would send him a copy to show I still love him. The damn thing is out of print and starts at $80 on Amazon and goes up. I don't love him that much.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/093802700X/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
It is $215 at Barnes and Noble:bull_head:.
I found a used copy, added the Peterson field guide. I hope he likes/uses them and see this as his Christmas present.

Many people who consider them self to be a "bird watcher/birder" keep a life list of birds they have identified. I recommend that as a way to add to the fun.
I don't have a "life list", wish I did:moody:. Some of my friends plan a trip or a vacation around adding one just bird to their list. They get to see a lot, do a lot and also have a fun goal in the background of the trip.

Building a list is easy - to a point, then it is very, very difficult.

Starting a list changes everything. It can make a casual sighting more like a hunting trip. My heart beat goes crazy if I see a new bird or even one I have not seen in a few months. Adding a new bird is very exciting. Just seeing what "might be" one for the list gets my heart beat so high I can't hold the binos steady. I am not exaggerating:victorious:. Instead of killing it to hang on the wall, I write it down, maybe get a photo.

Like I posted above, you need rules. "You" get to make them if you are a hermit and don't play well with others. If you are mainstream, common rules are already out there for you.

Mine are:
- must be seen and positively identified, no guessing.
- must be seen by me around the house. Birds seen once a car is used don't count. Boat is OK, if I don't pull it some where with the car (separate list for trips).

In my book I also have a list of birds I have lured to "perch" on the porch. That list is at 52.
Starting a list is fun and easy. Of course every time a bird is added, it gets harder to add another. It also gets much more exciting.

Maybe Toad, and I, and you? could start a new list here on YC.
It could be birds sighted in or from our backyard.

The rules will be on the honor system:

- the bird must be positive ID, no guessing -
- the bird must be seen while you are at your residence. If you can see it from there, it counts.
- Contest will start 01Sept14 and go to midnight 31Dec14.
- anyone joining in not now members of YC must be vetted and Gnome approved.

Prize will be a quality bird feeder.

Who will play?

sundance
09-18-2014, 04:55 PM
OK, sounds interesting.....

Snoop65
09-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't seem to get much variety in my back yard.

admin
09-18-2014, 05:33 PM

That was what I thought.
You are wrong, very, very wrong.
You don't have to find birds, they will find you. Put out the feeder you won in last year's football contest (your daughter has the books as I mailed them to her a year ago) and be amazed.
Anytime spent with kids on crap like this now will now will be priceless later on.
All geezers here will shout that this is true.

AgentOrange
09-18-2014, 05:43 PM
OK, sounds interesting.....

I did not see that coming.

Just "amazoned" you the latest Peterson field guide. I have 2 day free shipping, but you might not get it until Monday.

Snoop65
09-18-2014, 06:06 PM
The feeder is out, I do have to refill it though. We see the most birds when we go out to the parks, remember I'm in the city. I've only seen sparrows, robins, cardinals, bluejays and a occasional pigeon .

AgentOrange
09-18-2014, 06:22 PM
It will be hard to play in this contest if you do not own binoculars.
I hate that, but it is true.

I have several, and use most daily, but I will loan some.

Here is the best place to shop if you are not up to speed on binos:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars?gcid=S31842x001&keyword=binoculars%20eagle&mkwid=ssrb12R4j&pcrid=17229982574&gclid=COe0pIDe68ACFcRbfgodLz0AwQ
They are excellent, go above and beyond. I have been a customer for decades and they are 100%.

There is a used market, but finding a deal there is hard for a novice as few "deals" appear. The market for decent binos is large.
Maybe between now and Dec I could find a deal and offer that as opposed to a bird feeder.

On the other hand, China is in the market and decent binos are less what they once were.

Here are tips, but check with me before you buy:
- "roof prism" only.
- there are two ends. One lets in light and you are on the other end. The best would be about a mile across on the "IN". That is too heavy to lift.
- The popular power for bird binos is 8X. that is because they are for weak girls walking in a field. 8X is very good. If you can handle 10X - better. I use 12X, but I sit on my ass with these. I suggest to buy 12X50, but if you get a buy on 10X42, grab it with glee. My best are that.

Ten years ago decent binos were near a thousand, now that is not true. I am not saying your $300 pair are equal to a $3k pair, but saying not long ago they would have cost $700. Don't buy used on the old retail sale list.
Good glass is good glass and China is in the market in a big way. Look for weight and "close focus".
email me before you buy.

AgentOrange
09-18-2014, 06:29 PM
The feeder is out, I do have to refill it though. We see the most birds when we go out to the parks, remember I'm in the city. I've only seen sparrows, robins, cardinals, bluejays and a occasional pigeon .

Good deal, I lived in a cluster like that for many years.
Birds go with the action.
Put out some yard plants for cover. (I can help).

Birds can fly from the park to you if there is a reason to do so - feeder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4

sundance
09-19-2014, 01:56 PM
if you do not own binoculars.
I probably got some K-mart 'blue light' specials somewhere.:afro:
I see quite a few birds, red, black, blue but mostly brown.
I guess I could take a picture of them; post 'em and then AO could identify them. Appears to be a good way to spend a few minutes a day.

AgentOrange
09-20-2014, 02:25 PM

The feeder is out, I do have to refill it though. remember I'm in the city. I've only seen sparrows, robins, cardinals, bluejays and a occasional pigeon .

If you start making a list, you will be surprised over a few weeks who shows up. Now most likely you are not paying attention. It does not take a lot of dedicated time, just start glancing out the window at the yard as you pass, put your feeder there.

Feeders can help to a point, but some birds don't come to feeders, all come to water.

Towns have their own birds. Unlike you I never see a House Sparrow, Starling, or Pigeon. I rarely see a Gackel or a Black Bird. That puts you several up on me right there. I suspect we all have the more common backyard feeder birds everyday. They are my favorites and my everyday friends. I am on the porch now, seen several, but not one that does not visit your yard. The trick is to become aware of what is going on out there -> it is more than you think.
I lived in town for 30 years on a postage stamp lot. Once I took notice, I was amazed.

People have success with this from a patio at an apartment. In fact my birding "guru" lives in a condo with no yard. Early on in my birding adventure, got him over to see "my" birds.
We folded out a couple chairs in my driveway (had no deck and my porch was too tiny for two). Soon he was pointing out birds I was missing. It shocked me. Birds are there, but it takes time to discover them. Anyone can.

For a feeder, the best food to attract the most different birds is Black Oil Sunflower. Pick up 40 pounds at Tractor Supply for $20. Two other ones to consider after that are millet seed (cheap at about $25 for 50#) and suet cakes ($1.50) or just use chunky peanut butter (I mix it with corn meal).

Keeping food in the feeder all the time is a plus:tickled_pink:. Birds are creatures of habit, but are also scavengers. As they can fly, their range increases or shrinks a lot due to available food supply.
If you get birds stopping regularly at your feeders, others are attracted by that action:cocksure: . I only get Robins and Waxwings a couple times a year even though they live in my area all year. They show when my Pyracanter berries are ripe, sometimes for water at the pond.
Finches eat most of my food, but their constant activity draws in others who might other wise pass my yard by.

The other variable is water. Birds love water. They drink often, just like all critters. All you need is a flat saucer like used for potted plants - cost a couple dollars, but the ceramic ones are better due to being heavy, or put a rock in the middle. 5 or 6 inches is enough but bigger is better. Sit it on the porch rail or window still, someplace you see it. Dump and fill ever few days to keep it full and avoid skeeters.

AgentOrange
09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
I probably got some K-mart 'blue light' specials somewhere.:afro:
I see quite a few birds, red, black, blue but mostly brown.
I guess I could take a picture of them; post 'em and then AO could identify them. Appears to be a good way to spend a few minutes a day.

I bought my first pair for about $15 from your cop buddy at the pawn shop on Freedom Dr.
They make all the difference in the World. The trick is too keep them handy and put them on the bird whether you are inside or out. I am good at ID, but am often surprised once the bino goes on a bird. A Gold Finch becomes a Warbler.

As to ID, get that photo (you kids always have your phone handy). I am sure some of us can figure it out. Before the Bird Club kicked me out, I often had a dozen people trying to figure out a bird from my poor photos.

AgentOrange
09-20-2014, 03:21 PM
How to ID a bird is part of the hobby. Many things other than your "sighting" come into play.

If you see a bird clearly, check your bird book or computer and positively ID. If it as an Ivory Billed Woodpecker, there will be doubt as they are extinct (not so say some guys in Arkansas:triumphant:).
If you say you have a Ruby throat at your Hummingbird feeder in November, maybe, but more likely you have just become a member of the "rare bird sighting club". Look and remember, get a photo if you can. That goes for all birds. I still argue for a couple of my sightings with Dr Larry. One he disavowed and I later proved it with excellent photos, putting me on the SC list of the "R.B.S.C."
Stand your ground and gather some data.

Every guide book comes with ID tips, and help can be found on line and in books and magazines. Improvement takes time and practice.

First you need to learn what to look for as the bird may not sit there for an hour while you get the field guide:courage:. Look for size. Look for shape. Look at the beak and feet. Look at eye color. Look for markings, especially near the eye. Look for wing markings. Learn to do all that in a couple seconds as that may be all the time you have.
As you look, memorize. Take mental photos. Then pull out the field guide and search.

Things like movement and habitat help as birds act differently. For instance, Eagles and Mallards are often around water. Eagles don't float, so that is a clue. A Gold Finch don't eat suet. A Wren likes to hoist and shake his tail feather (as do I after a few:biggrin-new:).
Cardinals go "cheep", Crows go "caw". Sparrows like to jump on the ground, Kinglets eat in the trees. ETC, ETC. ETC.

Put your bino on the bird, still your heart:distant:, and memorize as much as you can. Don't just see --> learn to observe. It is like when audiophiles try to get people to listen, not just hear.

It becomes second nature if you practice a little. Try it on any bird. Look at it like you did not know the ID and later would have to search a book.
Then search the book. The sooner you are at home in your book, the better you will be. Read the few comments as to food, habitat. Look at the range map.

This is a good hobby. It is competitive and is not just looking at a bird.

(Mostly I just like to watch the bird:love_heart:, but I am not a real birder.)

TOAD
09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I have a bird identification book.
"Birds of Eastern North America " A Photographic Guide.
by Paul Steery & Brian E. Small

I bought this guide because it somewhat narrows down species to what is native to where I live, and the migratory birds that normally pass through.

It also has excellent close up photography.

As to the contest, do we post a running tally ?
As in the American Crows I posted about today, and the numerous other species they spooked from my feeders?
Or do we wait and post at the end?

AgentOrange
09-22-2014, 02:56 PM
The count does not start until Oct 1:mad-new:. Like you, I am ready to begin. All are on the "honor system" which is OK as we are all honorable people here:indecisiveness:.

I like guides with photos, have a couple. The one I mailed you is drawings which helps tell you what to look for on a bird. I use both types. One draw back of just photos is birds of the same species can look very different. No one photo can cover it all, kinda like you and I look similar but different. The drawings focus on the finer points. I find both types of guides to be helpful.

I am going to post a running tally of mine. Maybe the first post will be labeled 1,2,3,4,etc and the next 6,7,8.
That not only will be more fun, but also alerts others what to be on the look out for.

Soon adding one to your tally will become harder:05.18-flustered:.

October/November/December is a good time period for this contest.
There will not be a stagnant period.
Now you have Summer Birds, but the Winter Birds will be arriving, and you will loose your Summer Birds.
In OCT/NOV almost anything can be passing by during migration.
To top it off, we have our year-round birds, and there are a lot of them.

I believe people who play will have fun and be amazed when they start listing.
Your list will become longer than you might have believed.

AgentOrange
09-22-2014, 03:47 PM
One group of birds soon arriving are the Warblers.
There are a million. Most have some yellow on them.
Here is where you must have binos or get a good photo. The markings can be slight. Most will be migrating by, but a few Winter here in the Southeast.

The most abundant one is the Yellow-rumpled Warbler, and you will eventually add this guy to your list now that you are looking for him. The Yellow Warbler also stays as does one of my favorite birds, the Pine Warbler.
I bring this up now as most Warblers will not be showing at your feeders. You will need to look at your trees, shrubs and water to discover them. They will migrate past in big numbers. They like to sing. They can be hard to ID.

Warblers are meat eaters, not seed eaters. So, if you have out a suet cake, maybe they visit it. The ones who "over Winter" surely will after the freeze starts to kill off the bugs. In fact they can become your best feeder friends as they will hang out all day and even defend the suet. In Summer I have Hummingbirds all about me in my Catbird seat, and in Winter they are replaced with Pine Warblers:applouse::applouse::applouse:.

Real "suet" is beef fat you can ask your butcher for.
Before I moved here, I used store bought suet cakes which are not real suet. Now as I have posted, make my own (also not real suet). Now my birds will not eat store bought.

Ingredients:
- corn meal
- flour
- lard
- crunchy peanut butter

Basically use equal parts of each. Melt the lard and peanut butter in the microwave. Stir in the other, let it cool. It will keep for months, no need to refrigerate. How simple is that?

There are many additions people add, but no need to that, especially don't add bird seed as they have to crack those seeds so don't make them greasy:dejection:.

Peanut butter is the key ingredient as is the lard. Birds want high energy fat and protein. The corn meal and flour make it harden to a cake. This is good high energy food even for you:dog:. If you need to bug out when the feds or zombies are closing in, take a tub of this with you. It will help you survive longer than a case of power bars.

It is a necessity to attract some birds to feeders including all warblers as they are insect eaters. Most birds that eat insects will nibble at it. Woodpeckers love it.
Just give the recipe to your Bride and ask for help. She will be thrilled to be part of your new hobby (unless she is like my Bride:stung:).

AgentOrange
09-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Migration is officially underway at my house.
I just (maybe) saw a Hermit Thrush in the shadows. Maybe it was a Thrasher, but I don't think so. I would not call it a "hit" if the contest were under way, but ... it was - I think.

Maybe it was the 4 bottle of Urquell.

Rorschach
09-22-2014, 04:11 PM
drink beer and guess - good contest

TOAD
09-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Maybe Toad, and I, and you? could start a new list here on YC.
It could be birds sighted in or from our backyard.

- the bird must be seen while you are at your residence. If you can see it from there, it counts.

Who will play?

The count does not start until Oct 1
:mad-new:. Like you, I am ready to begin. All are on the "honor system" which is OK as we are all honorable people here:indecisiveness:.

I am going to post a running tally of mine. Maybe the first post will be labeled 1,2,3,4,etc and the next 6,7,8.
That not only will be more fun, but also alerts others what to be on the look out for.

October/November/December is a good time period for this contest.
There will not be a stagnant period.
Now you have Summer Birds, but the Winter Birds will be arriving, and you will loose your Summer Birds.
In OCT/NOV almost anything can be passing by during migration.
To top it off, we have our year-round birds, and there are a lot of them.

I believe people who play will have fun and be amazed when they start listing.
Your list will become longer than you might have believed.

Ok by me!

The crows are coming daily because I have two pecan trees in the yard and they love those, so they will be around for awhile.

After all September is almost gone, it would only be fair to start the count in October.
It will give more folks time to join in.:encouragement:

**Hum.. Makes one wonder.... What kind of birds do they have on Saipan?**

I think I will also make several posts, maybe listing the newer birds in red each time.

AgentOrange
09-22-2014, 05:01 PM
it was - I think.

Maybe it was the 4 bottle of Urquell.

drink beer and guess - good contest

... note I did not post this Thrush as one of mine.
Actually I can't until Oct 1:topsy_turvy:.

On the other hand, was just being coy as to the ID of this Thrush.
I know 100% it was he.

100% :applouse:
Migration is under way at my house.

Birds are creatures of habit like us.
This Thrush is back where he spends time everyday, every Winter --> at the Frog pond.
He loves Pyracanter berries. Toad has a hedge of those Pop planted as a border.
I know Thrush don't live forever, but they are a yearly Winter companion for me over the last decade. I know it aint the same one or two, but I know I am never with out one.

When my Leica binoculars hit him, it was game over. (Toad's camera has Leica lens :victorious:.) A backyard "buddy" has made it home safe and will be with me again this Winter:couple_inlove::loyal::joyous:.
This is why I like/prefer backyard birds as opposed to birding just anywhere which is also fun (and all can do both).

If this were Oct 1, would not count him as I am confident I will see him many, many times and be able to photo his mug to post for yall.

AgentOrange
09-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Three wood peckers today:
Red-bellied
Downy
Pileated

The Red-bellied is a guest at my bed room window feeder everyday of the year. At first light he hits it yelling to scare off the Cardinals. Then they return from time to time all day. During nesting they carry suet off and after bring the young by to learn where the free meal is.

The Downy (and sometimes Hairy) are common after the freeze limits the bug supply some. They get tame and eat on my log near the chair.

The Pileated use to be here a lot when the Pine Trees were dying (pine beetles). They strip off the dead bark to get to the beetles. These days I don't see them much, wish the contest had started so I could count this guy. They are not hard to discover if in your area. They are the loudest bird in these parts, and they love to scream. If you hear what sounds like Rodan and Godzilla fighting, it will be this guy.

TOAD
09-25-2014, 03:27 PM
You have a Panasonic camera?

When my Leica binoculars hit him, it was game over. (Toad's camera has Leica lens :victorious:.)

You are right about my camera on both counts.:applause:
But...how the hell did you know this just by looking at a few photos?:confused:

AgentOrange
10-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Who will play?

The contest begins today. To clarify some, if you see a bird across the street, it counts. If you walk across the street and see it, it does not. If your neighbor has a fence and you have a ladder to see over - it counts. If you can see it in your yard or see it from any place in your yard (from your roof top?:cocksure:) it counts.

Male & female count as one, not two species.
There are 3 months, so there is plenty of time.

Apparently I was under the wrong impression of the rules and now see it started a month ago. Oh well, WTF?

AgentOrange
10-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I will post a few I have seen today. Like I said, the first dozen will be easy, but then it will begin to tighten up, and the excitement will kick in when you sight a new bird.

Here are a few I see everyday, and saw all today. I have about a dozen birds that are constant companions. The birds I see most become my favorites.
The most numerous bird in my yard is the Goldfinch, and in Winter the Chipping Sparrow exceeds them.

Photos are not required, but fun if you can get one. All photos below were snapped in the last week. As these are common backyard birds, I have better, but these recent photos are fun.

1 - Ruby-throated Hummingbird. These guys will be leaving in the next few days. Fill your feeder so they can fill their belly. This may not be the best photo, but it was taken in deep shade. When I lightened it some you can see the closed gorgets on the throat. I have read that these are not red feathers but a prism trick with the light.

2 - Goldfinch. I have these guys in abundance all year. Sometimes when you have a lot of something you fail to see them as individuals or how cool they are. They are fiesty little birds that will hiss at larger bids on the window hopper. This is a young male. Next year he will be almost neon yellow. These are striking birds by any standard. He will pick up a black hat to impress the ladies who are also yellow, but not as bright. They are seed eaters and will hang on flowers like two of my favorite - Cone Flowers and Black-eyed Susans. Both flowers are very easy to grow by just scattering some seed.

3 - Eastern Towhee. These guys hang out in the shrubs eating off the ground, especially under your bird feeder. They look kinda like a small Robin, but unlike a Robin, very shy. Most likely you have them or can attract them. This one is a first year bird in a large feeder I made to resemble "the ground" for birds who like to eat off the ground. Not all birds will come to tube feeders, but all will come to hopper feeders. I worry about my Towhees as they eat on the ground, and I have two cats.
This young bird will color up, get sleek and become just beautiful. The males are very deep red and the females more toward an orange red. This is a common bird, and you have them if you keep an eye out. Snow helps.

4 - Carolina Wren. These are my little buddies. They are not much of a feeder bird but do eat suet. They jump around your house and yard all day looking for bugs and spiders. They are very, very loud singers. If you hear a loud song, it is this guy. Many times one has hopped on my leg out here. They get very tame.

5- Chicadee. Tiny little bird loved by all backyard bird watchers. Put out any food, and this guy maybe the first to find it. Look up "cuite as hell" in the dictionary and there is a photo of this guy. They get tame and beyond, mine seem to like Rock music. In Winter they "group up" to scavenage their feeding area and other birds join the flock. When they come in you might see anything. This is a photo snapped of one on a water feeder.

6- Tufted Titmouse. If you have a feeder (or if you don't) you have this guy. All Winter they will hang with the Chicadees. That is because like the Chicadee, they eat anything and everything. If you want a buddy - this is the guy -> they prefer Jazz.

7 - Southern Cardinal. This guy wakes me up every day as I have a bedroom window feeder. They are also the last bird out at night. I am lucky that I have been able to keep a lot of these around even though they are kinda territorial. If this is not the best looking backyard bird, point it out. I don't just mean the males as the females also get awesome. Like the Titmouse and Chicadee, they eat everything. They are big on berries. I have Polk plants, Elderberry, Holly, Privett, and Pyracanter. Most see those as weeds, but not me and not Cardinals.

Here is a photo of Cardinals (M&F) and Hooter (my nick name for Titmouse).

Water is the big deal to attract birds. You might not believe me, but it is true. I live on a lake they can/do drink from, but they like my crap as it is safer. Your place is like a desert compared to here. Put out some water and keep it shallow, about an inch or less. Shallow is the deal. You can vary depth by putting in a sloping rock.

Seven for me. I am winning.:greedy_dollars:

TOAD
10-02-2014, 03:39 PM
I didn't see anything in the rules about using helpers so I hired myself two spotters.
That way I can just set back and drink beer until they get excited about seeing a new bird.

The old pro:

And the trainee.

They watch the birds, and the birds watch them back.

Easy picking today, full house at the feeders.

So I spy:

1. American Goldfinch
2. Carolina Chickadee
3. Blue Jay
4. Mourning Dove
5. House Finch
6. Northern Cardinal
7. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
8. Tufted Titmouse

Thanks for the books Bill.
While the one I have has great pictures, The Peterson guide has much more detail on how to distinguish between closely related species.

AgentOrange
10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Good photos Toad, thanks for sharing. What is the name of your new trainee?

I am going to match your House Finch and raise you a couple:

8 - White-breasted Nuthatch - This is a tame bird that is loud, likes to talk to you when he steals food. They are eager to come to feeders with Sunflower or suet. They take seed and wedge it into bark on a tree to be eaten later. One easy way to notice a nuthatch is that unlike other birds, they run down a tree as opposed to up. They look like a big spider. There are 3 types, this one and the Red-breasted (look very similar), and the very tiny Brown-headed which I saw today but did not get a new photo. I'll count him later on.

9 - House Finch - I used to have none of these, but now they are year-round. They eat every type seed at the feeders, and will nibble some on suet. They pretty much eat anything. They range from really dull (females and young) to some males that are almost completely red. They are feisty like all finches. They are not native Americans but were brought over to be sold as "cage birds". Some got loose in Long Island, and now the numbers here are estimated at a billion. This is a fun little bird, and all surely have them!
3358 - with Gold finch for comparison.

At some point i'll catch a Purple Finch which is very siniliar and these two are confused by some who don't see them at the same time. Look for buff belly on the Purple with no stripes.

... but wait, as I was trying to catch a red House Finch, your bird, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak showed up. That was unexpected and exciting. A Warbler also landed a few feet from my head just now, but I did not ID it. Migration is in full speed ahead.

10 - Rose-breasted Grosbeak - Here are a juvenile male and female and an adult female. They are at your house now.

All photos today taken through the window, proving this can be an indoor game.

AgentOrange
10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Between Toad and me, that is 12 birds in 3 days.
I hope some of yall get time to join in at some point.:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement :

Rorschach
10-03-2014, 08:16 PM
cool i can't play but cool

TNRabbit R.I.P.
10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
When I get a chance to get some food out, I'll join in....

AgentOrange
10-05-2014, 12:47 PM
11 - Summer Tanager - Just sat down on the porch and this guy landed about 40 foot away. I have been seeing her for a while now. This is the female, and it is a striking looking bird.

12 - Morning Dove - Years ago I a couple, but now I have a couple more, maybe 8-10. I really like them but don't need more. It is a beautiful bird. They eat Sunflower, but also like millet, and bugs. One comes to my window feeder and eats suet. I once watched one sitting on the ground (not standing). Every time an ant came out of the hole he ate it. Doves travel in pairs and mate for life. The female will land and then the male. When she moves, he follows, kinda like us.
They are known in these parts also as the Carolina Turtledove. They sound almost like an OWl in twightlight. They are powerful fliers. They are fat, spend most of the day just sitting in a tree. They are different at the water hole as they drink like dogs or cows, unlike other birds who take sip and have to throw their head back to swallow. How anyone can shoot these is beyond me.

TOAD
10-05-2014, 02:18 PM
I have been busy this weekend, not much time for bird watching.

But as I am sitting in the "computer room" ( small room on the back corner of the house), I see out the back window that a Carolina wren is hanging on the bell shaped suet ball hanging under the house eve there.
While on the other side of the driveway a murder of crows is in the pecan trees again.
Also, just outside the window facing in the other direction is an old friend that lives in a holly bush planted against the house, a Mockingbird just sitting there in the sun.

So, today I spy:

1. American Goldfinch
2. Carolina Chickadee
3. Blue Jay
4. Mourning Dove
5. House Finch
6. Northern Cardinal
8. Tufted Titmouse
9. Carolina Wren
10. American Crow
11. Northern Mockingbird

So only three to add, but that's not bad considering I am just sitting inside in front of a computer.:):peaceful:

TOAD
10-06-2014, 02:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95qOOix0U0

Yes sir, happened on the highway between my neighbor's and my house.

Actually the carcass is just on his side of the property line.
So his problem, and he has dibs on the fresh road kill.:congratulatory:

He had best hurry though because: today I spy:

1. American Goldfinch
2. Carolina Chickadee
3. Blue Jay
4. Mourning Dove
5. House Finch
6. Northern Cardinal
8. Tufted Titmouse
9. Carolina Wren
10. American Crow
11. Northern Mockingbird
12. Turkey Vulture

AgentOrange
10-06-2014, 03:29 PM
That's a good one. Scrape that guy up and throw him near your other feeders and presto --> you have a ground feeder.

My place is under a tree canopy right now, can't see the sky unless I walk to my edge at the lake. We have a lot of vultures, and lots will gather over the lake making them easy to watch for hours in flight as they circle and ride the lake winds. The Turkey hunts mostly by smell. The Black uses eye sight, and watches the Turkey.

To help others, there are two basic types in the East, the Turkey and the Black. Telling them apart is easy as on the ground, one has a red head and one has a black head.

It is also easy looking up at them in the sky. The Turkey has white along the rear underside of his wings from tip to body.

The Black has just white tips.

AgentOrange
10-08-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't want to fall too far behind, so here are three I saw today:

13 - Brown-headed Nuthatch -- -- all year, everyday at feeders
14 - Red-bellied Woodpecker -- -- all year, everyday at feeders
15 - Yellow-bellied Sapsucker --> First one this this Fall, will stay over until Spring

I have older photos of these, but want to get new ones for this thread. It will not be too hard.
The Nuthatch is mostly at the corner sunflower feeder out of sight of my chair, but as it gets colder, he will move in front of me to the suet - a very tiny, very tame bird.
The Woodpecker wakes me every morning at my bedroom window feeder on the suet. I don't see him much in the yard except high up and too many leaves right now. He is noisy and easy to find.
The Sapsucker has put a million holes in my trees. He is easy to photo once the leaves are gone.

AgentOrange
10-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Guess this bird?
(Warbler?)

Just had a bird flitting in the leaves of the Elm right in front of me.
They jump around and light for just a second before jumping (after bugs?). In the leaves, it is difficult to get a clear view, photos are very hard. Often (like just now) it all happens in a couple minutes. Between using the binocular and the camera it turns to a cluster fuck.

Note the two yellow wing bars, and it had an eye ring and a pointed beak. It was greenish above and no streaks on the underside, yellow on the sides.

Get out your books, WTF is it?

AgentOrange
10-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Guess this bird?
(Warbler?)

Get out your books, WTF is it?

Nobody got it right (or wrong).
Maybe this one was a little too hard for the peanut gallery. The next one will be easier.
This is a Chestnut-sided Warbler (immature).
Check your Peterson (4th edition page 249) on the "Confusing Fall Warblers page".
Or you can look here on line:
http://birds.audubon.org/birds/chestnut-sided-warbler

About the only chance to see this bird in the Southeast is during migration. I do live in the Blue Ridge foothills, so my chance is higher than most.

16 - Chestnut-sided Warbler

AgentOrange
10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
The plan here for the Army Corps is to drop the lake 5' every Fall even though that makes no sense.
I was down pushing my dock out this morning and saw a couple Blue Birds in the trees there.
Every year I raise about 25 in my bird houses including about 12 on the dock.
Still, after breeding, it can be weeks between sighting one, don't know why. They are a year-round bird in the Southeast.

Here are a couple of my old pictures, need to get some with my newer camera. During breeding, they get impatient when you sit on the dock, but soon will be hauling in the worms whether you are there are not. I have read the first brood helps to feed broods two and three.

17 - Eastern Bluebird

AgentOrange
10-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Hard to believe I am up before 10, but I got a lot to do today.
I sat on the porch and watched the Sun set yesterday before I had to come in and watch VT loose to Pitt.

Two Blue Jays were in the yard late. I hear them often, but don't see them often until leaves fall as they like the tree tops. They don't come to the feeders for food often, but do come for water.

18 - Blue Jay

AgentOrange
10-17-2014, 02:31 PM
YC is waiting on some of yall to start reporting some bird sightings:confused:.
Right now Toad and I are carrying the load and having all the fun. The contest runs until the end of the year, but it would be more fun if you post along and not wait until the last day. It's not about winning, but sharing. Report what you see. We have people all across America, I am interested what is out your window.

I am not sure of Toad's set up as I have not been there in a while. I am familiar with the yard, and like at my place, there is no limit to who could show. Toad has a hell of a lot more forest backing him up than I do. Of course the place to search is always the edge, not deep in.
I know Toad has a couple tube feeders and a suet ball.
I don't know if he has a hopper feeder, be eager to mail him one. Hopper feeders will be very handy soon as millet will become popular when the Yankee birds arrive (you can't give it away right now).
Some birds prefer this style as it mimics eating on the ground.
I put together this big one last year. I have a couple more similar ones. This one is directly in front of my Catbird chair about 30 feet off.

The roof keeps the seed dry as does the mesh floor. Seed does not fall on the ground and go to waste. Something like this would be about $1K at a store, but you can make it for under $100 including 4X4 pole. I am not talented like elgrau, so if I can throw this up anyone can. The secret for success here is the floor.

Here is one of my few remaining (darn cats) chipmunks stealing some food. He can't get up top, but can jump from the bushes onto the low hanging trays. I really like to watch these guys, used to have a lot of them. They collect and store food in the the ground cave they dig. Mine can eat free all Winter on me, but they don't believe that and work like crazy storing food. You could have a dump truck pile up a mountain of seed and this guy would not rest until it was all safely underground. They are great critters and do no harm in the yard. My asshole neighbor shoots them, claims they eat his plant roots (not true), but then he is an asshole. I never have understood killing just to watch something die.

Anyway, a hopper style feeder is better for millet as most birds that prefer it are ground birds. Even Cardinals prefer this style. Add one to your yard, good ones start at about $20. Hanging trays work well too, but do better if you fashion a roof to keep the seed dry. Those in the photo are all metal ($25 at Tractor Supply) will last a life time, but the floor holes a little to big for millet.

Right now I have two noisy Nuthatches just about 3 feet from my chair eating suet from holes I drilled in a cedar limb. Yesterday I made a new suet feeder out of crap I already had (free). I'll post on it when the paint drys. Suet is a substitute for insects and very popular after Winter freeze limits the bug supply. Most birds will nibble on it, and some will eat only this at feeders. I am upgrading my old one because soon my Pine Warblers will be in to replace Hummingbirds for the Winter.

AgentOrange
10-21-2014, 04:03 PM
One of my Blue Jays just came yelling at all to clear out so he could hit the water hole.
I snapped a couple photos in the shadows, these are actually at 1600 ISO.

AgentOrange
10-23-2014, 02:41 PM
10 - Rose-breasted Grosbeak - Here are a juvenile male and female and an adult female. They are at your house now.

A male showed up today, snapped this from my chair before he took flight:

TOAD
10-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Mister bird expert,
Do you know what is the difference between a White Owl and a Cajun Owl?

According to Justin Wilson:

A White Owl goes, "Who, who,"
A Cajun Owl goes, "Who dat? Who dat?

AgentOrange
10-24-2014, 03:05 PM
19 - Common Grackle
I was sitting here playing CCR and a few Grackles showed up. I only see these in the yard a couple times a year. They got some water and were gone in a few moments, lucky I was here.

AgentOrange
10-26-2014, 03:50 PM
The irrigation sprinkler came on for the Branch area and among others who cam to investigate was this guy:

20 - ROBIN

AgentOrange
11-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Sad news.:disturbed:

The Winter sparrows have arrived.
My first sighting of one was just now when Rosey walked in carrying one. It most likely hit the windows because if the cats had caught it, doubt Rosey would have it.

These are birds who prefer to eat on the ground. They make a fuss jerking back leaves and grass to search for seed. That really attracts cats.
They prefer millet at the feeders. They can look ordinary until you put the binios on them, then they are striking birds. The yellow above the eye really flashes at you.

Here is one from another year at my "branch":

21 - White-throated Sparrow

They arrive in large numbers and will stay until Spring. Watch for birds on the ground. Eating along with them and also digging in the leaves will be Song Sparrows and Juncos.

AgentOrange
11-02-2014, 02:49 PM
When I first moved here I had a couple Red-headed Woodpeckers that were constant visitors to my porch eating my suet mix. Here is a photo of one on my suet from 2004.

Beautiful bird !!

These guys are getting fewer every year, and I have not had them here for 10 years. I have missed them as they were quite tame, even aggressive. Like most Woodpeckers, they talk a lot.

I sat down in my chair today, and I heard one - maybe. After about an hour of watching, it finally showed at the Elm tree. I got a few photos, none very good.
Here is one that definitely IDs the guy:

This is a juvenile, the head is still mostly brown and it still has streaks on the belly. Maybe he will spend the Winter with me and grow up. If I can get him on the suet, I think he will.
This just makes my day, never thought I would see one here again. I am smiling ear to ear.:excitement:

22 - Red-headed Woodpecker

TOAD
11-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the bird watching contest yet.

But, at the moment the bird watching has come to a stop at my house.
I have two large pecan trees in the backyard and they are full of crows, blue jays, and squirrels. The way the leaves on the trees are shaking, I believe a war going on up there.
I have also been doing some pruning and other outdoor chores, getting the yard ready for winter.
The result is that most of my normal birds have fled. I now am down to the female house finches ( bunches of those ) and a chickadee or two.

I have a woodpecker that is sneaking in between battles, but he is camera shy and an expert at keeping the tree trunk between us, :sneakiness:so no photo yet.

I did take some time out during this last cold snap to work with my new spotter on the woodpecker project.

I am having trouble getting across the idea of look but don't
touch.:cower:

After training She likes to kick back and watch TV as long as the show has flying objects in it.

This cat came up to us as a little kitten some Asshole :mad-new: had tossed out on the side of the road.
She was about the size of my fist and starving, when she crept up in the bushes while my wife and I were sitting outside in the darkest spot in the yard stargazing.
We were drinking beer and eating party mix while watching the Perseid meteor shower. The sight of us eating finally was too much for her to stand and she let out a yowl that scared the heck out of us.
She is a tortoiseshell cat and so odd looking that even with a flashlight it took me awhile to figure out what kind of critter was hiding in the bushes.:eek-new:

She is turning out to be the smartest cat I have ever had.

While the "look don't touch" training is slow going, I did manage to teach the pecan tree to poop peanut butter :triumphant:

I was unsure to as to where to make this post, under bird watching or critters. Feel free to move it.

AgentOrange
11-05-2014, 02:49 PM
And the trainee.

Good photos Toad, thanks for sharing. What is the name of your new trainee?

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the bird watching contest yet.

She is turning out to be the smartest cat I have ever had.

Thanks for the photos.
This was never meant to be much of a contest, more of an "awakening" as to what is in people's yards.
I have been doing this too long to loose :friendly_wink:. I expect to hit around 35 by the New Year. I could list a few more now, but waiting/hoping like you and the woodpecker, to get a new photo.
One bird you have that I should have but never had is a Mockingbird. Well, I mean one that lives here. He will show later on to feast on the berries over Winter, but has never set up residence in my yard. After 12 years, that seems strange to me.

Share all your backyard experiences, photos, and thoughts here until the New Year. Surely everyone has seen at least one bird?:distrust:
At the very least, this thread will help people refresh their memory as to the names of some common birds. That is the reason for the photos.

So Toad, what is the name of that trainee?
Both my cats (Percy & Prancy) were dumped near me. Now they are fat and happy and have taken over my house and my yard.

AgentOrange
11-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I have Chick Corea (Dedicated to John Coltrane) on the speakers.

I put a seed cake under my new homemade suet feeder
and just now this guy landed on it. Getting his photo was fun. He was on the back side and his head was going in and out very fast, took about ten photos before I caught him. Apparently he likes JAZZ.

These tiny woodpeckers will become common as the Winter culls back the bug population. They get very tame and will be at the feeder everyday. This one is only about 5 foot away from my big toe:eagerness:. His cousin, the Hairy has a longer beak.
I'll be putting up more/better photos in weeks ahead as I know from experience that this little guy (and maybe Hairy) will be back often.

23 - Downy Woodpecker

AgentOrange
11-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Here is a simple suet feeder thrown together with scrap parts.

The easy way to make one birds like is take a tree limb 3-4 inches in diameter by about 1 to 2 foot and drill some holes into it using a spade bit. That is perfect for most birds as this Nuthatch will attest -

But, just having some fun:anonymous: as i try to stay away from heroin (or is that spelled Great Blue Heron:cool-new:), decided to put together a "hopper" style one.
I took a piece of board, attached some wire for the cage and used plastic ties to attach some dowel rod to the top.
The landing handles are left over rails I used on my Carver tube amps.
I had some small chain, but could have used old shoe strings.

All I have to do is scoop up some of my suet mix, form a ball and drop it in:congratulatory:.

No action much on it now for a couple weeks, but I guarantee it will become very popular. Birds are creatures of habit like people, and for now still prefer the old hanging tree limb they have been using for years.

My wonderful Pine Warblers are in migration to my yard as I post this. Fun times ahead!!

AgentOrange
11-07-2014, 06:25 PM
A few ducks showed up in my cove this evening. Photos are not too good, but these are Mallards. They flew before I could get close.

These and others to come will be around all Winter, so better photos soon.

24 - Mallard

AgentOrange
11-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Woke up today and there was a fat Robin outside the window. I keep binos at the bed and often watch for a while before I get up:highly_amused:.
Robins come to my yard in Winter after they gather in flocks. I don't see them in Summer.
Right now about 20 are in the yard.

In these parts they tend to travel with Cedar Waxwings. Sometimes in Winter so many Robins and Waxwings will visit here for the water and Pyracantha berries, it becomes like the Hitchcock movie, and kinda freaky:surprise:. It is hard to describe and must be experienced.
I have many good photos of Waxwings, beautiful bird. They look like a bandit as they sport a mask. When the berries are ripe, they will spend a few days cleaning them out.

I am out on the porch waiting on Football to get underway. Robins are everywhere and a few Waxwings have come in.
Here is a photo good enough for ID I got from the shadows, more later someday soon when they flood the yard. I am eager to get some in Sunlight with my better camera.

This is a fun, and very colorful bird. They travel in large flocks and go where the berries are. Their range covers many, many miles. The few times a year I see them gets my heart rate up. During Summer several will visit from time to time, but in Winter, they really put their "freak show" on for me, arriving in great numbers along with the fat Robins.

A few show here for water anytime of year. It is the Bride's favorite bird.
I first saw them in Matthews when they would come to my very small yard for the water and my 25 year old (never trimmed) Holly tree berries. They would nest in my small Oak Tree. Before dark they would all land in the tree fussing and such. Then all become perfectly still and no one moves, not an eye blink. Freaky crap!! If you don't see them land, you would never know they were there, and there would be dozens. I guess this is for protection as they roost.

25 - Cedar Waxwing

Crap - (in a good way). As I write this, the first Kinglet just landed on the suet 4 feet from my feet and was quickly gone. This is a tiny, tiny bird. I can't count him yet as I get two in, the Golden-crowned and the Ruby-crowned. Telling them apart takes luck and patience, and I have till the New Year. The last few years they have not been on the suet, so this is a plus.

AgentOrange
11-08-2014, 02:47 PM
I'll be putting up more/better photos in weeks ahead as I know from experience that this little guy (and maybe Hairy) will be back often.

23 - Downy Woodpecker

Just snapped these - now all can ID this guy.:eagerness:
The female is the same, but no red on the head.

AgentOrange
11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
26 - Eastern Phoebe

Out my bedroom window yesterday was a Flycatcher. Above is a photo from a couple years ago. I kept checking back during the day with my camera, but so far did not see him again - I will. The photo above looks closer to a Peewee.

About 4PM there was something strange in my bedroom window feeder.

He sat there until it got dark, this has never happened before. Generally I only see this guy in Spring when he nests in one of my houses. The birds who like to snack in the window were very unhappy.
I went outside and got some good photos.

27 - Eastern Screech-Owl

AgentOrange
11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
I thought a Purple Finch had showed up, but I guess not. Still, this is a good photo considering it was 30 foot off.

AgentOrange
11-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Took a porch break at half time -

28 - Purple Finch

29 - Golden-crowned Kinglet

AgentOrange
11-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Hermit Thrush is here now as well as Song Sparrow.

Also now in the yard is the Chipping Sparrow. I'll have about a hundred of these guys coming in, and after that my yard will always have at least 50 of these in it at any time . The activity and energy level will be high all Winter. I already stocked in 150# of millet for them.

30 - Chipping Sparrow

AgentOrange
11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
3 - Eastern Towhee. These guys hang out in the shrubs eating off the ground, especially under your bird feeder. They look kinda like a small Robin, but unlike a Robin, very shy. Most likely you have them or can attract them. This one is a first year bird in a large feeder I made to resemble "the ground" for birds who like to eat off the ground. Not all birds will come to tube feeders, but all will come to hopper feeders. I worry about my Towhees as they eat on the ground, and I have two cats.
This young bird will color up, get sleek and become just beautiful. The males are very deep red and the females more toward an orange red. This is a common bird, and you have them if you keep an eye out. Snow helps.

Got an update of an adult Towhee.

AgentOrange
11-16-2014, 02:08 PM
#31 Hermit Thrush

This guy has been here for a few days, this is just the first photo I could get, him being a "hermit" and all - :excitement:

AgentOrange
11-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Oh my !!
Overcast, waiting on rain, and a Pileated Woodpecker just landed right in front of me on a Gum tree.:butterfly: Grabbed my camera as he jumped to another tree, but between branches and him jumping around, could not get a photo. Now he is toward the lake laughing at me. No, really - he is laughing at me.
This is the bird "Woody Wood Pecker" is built around. It is a huge bird.
He used to be around daily, but less now that my Pine Tree beatle infestation is less as most all the trees died and fell:concern:.

This is the loudest bird in my neighborhood. He cannot be ignored.
I may or may not get a good photo of him before the contest ends, so counting him now. If he comes back and goes to work on a dead tree (I have a few), it will be easy.

32 - Pileated Woodpecker
(these are not my photos)

- hanging out on the porch is exciting -

AgentOrange
11-16-2014, 05:30 PM
I expect to hit around 35 by the New Year.

I suspected more did not want to scare people from posting.:hororr:

The fun here is not as a contest, but sharing your "backyard" bird sightings.

My backyard from day one (2001) was assembled to attract "backyard" birds. Anyone can do it or at least improve even if all you have is one window. I have a bedroom window feeder that is amazing. Birds there wake me up each day and the cats love it.

Nothing makes the yard as beautiful or interesting as an active bird population. It is not a one time project, but goes on over years. Plant the right things, buy a feeder (or a dozen), put in water. I had an active bird bath before I moved here. I had a 125 gallon pond. I thought I could not compete with a lake full of water on my yard's border - but it is easy! I don't mean just my garden ponds crap - I have a tiny 6 inch bowl water feeder that has a bird on it every couple of minutes. It hangs 8 foot from my porch chair.

The only hard thing for me moving from my last home to here was leaving "my" birds.

Every time you see one, adding another is harder as there are only so many "BACKYARD" birds in an area. Most birds don't do backyards as they are shy. This listing is for us folks not on a "walk about", just at a window or on the porch. So far I have over 30, and all were spotted from inside my house or from my porch. Your place is the same or could be.

For this thread I assumed I would see several fall Warblers, but I missed them:chuncky:, too much going on for me right now. Still, over 40 is probable. 50, if I have time and energy, is not out of the question. I already know who they all are and more or less when I will see them. That is because I keep notes year to year - it is a hobby.

I think it is a hobby most would enjoy as there are many fun elements and tangents not bird related.

Share a bird sighting here, no photo needed.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
11-17-2014, 03:21 PM
I really need to get to the feed store & stock up on supplies for the winter, but it's not been a priority as surviving has taken over~

I've seen exactly 4 birds in my yard in the past month; all were Blue Jays.

AgentOrange
11-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Here are 2 Pine Siskins with 2 Gold Finch. The Siskin are migrants, hope they are passing through. They migrate to a different area every time, unlike most birds. As to diet, same as Gold Finch.
The easy "tell" on them is the streaking which Gold finch do not have.

33 - Pine Siskin

AgentOrange
11-19-2014, 04:28 PM
29 - Golden-crowned Kinglet

Here are photos:

This little guy is on the porch every few minutes now in either the crushed peanuts as above or here on the suet log.

This a very tiny bird.

AgentOrange
11-19-2014, 04:34 PM
13 - Brown-headed Nuthatch -- -- all year, everyday at feeders

Here is a distant photo today. At some point as Winter arrives, he will become a frequent visitor on the suet, and I will get better.

This is another very tiny bird. He gets very tame.

AgentOrange
11-24-2014, 08:01 PM

It is dark now and I can hear the Geese are landing in the cove.
Looking at them on land one might wonder how can these big guys even fly?:pig:
They can, and they can do it better than most anyone. These big boys can take off and fly all day.

I have Canada Geese all year:emmersed:. Some migrate and the smart ones don't as "why leave SC?".
These are wonderful animals.

They are a little late today, but one of the most awesome things I see is when the migrants come in to settle each night. Being mostly vegetarians, during the day they fly inland to feed on clover and grass. They are like flying cows.

They arrive back as the Sun sets.

They return to the lake and are very loud as to it all. The leaders shout to keep all in proper formation. It works a hell of a lot better than radar or sonar like the military use.

They circle some and then come it. Every bird hits "perfectly", right on time as not to intefere with others. All these huge birds under one control hitting the lake is a miracle of Nature:triumphant:.

It will make your neck hair stand on end and make your ass tighten.

They are incredible like a group of Navy Blue Angel jets, but in a much tighter and more controled formation. As they land, if one fucks up, they all crash, but not to fear -> "perfect":triumphant:. This is not like some tiny Mallards coming in, this is a major operation.

They come in fast, loud, and "ski" as they land as these are heavy birds. These huge birds put out their landing gear (feet), and the water moves aside. They land not like other birds as individuals, but as a team.

Even the Air Force can't do it nearly this well. They can't come even close and they are damn good!!

AWESOME !!!!

Few things in Nature can match these guys. I can't describe it, you have to come look.

None of these above are my photos:hopelessness:. I need to get my ass down on the water's edge a few evenings with my new camera, some beer, some fire, and some tunes to see if I can get a photo to express my words above.

Locals never leave and nest in my cove and on my island all year. Sometimes one will follow my boat as I troll. A bag of microwave popcorn encourages that. They can easily keep up at the 1-3 MPH that I troll at. Me throwing perfectly good popcorn to the duck pisses Rosey off, but she does like watching it chase her for a change.

34 - Canada Goose

AgentOrange
12-06-2014, 03:53 PM
I was on the porch and a few crows were raising hell as they dive bombed a pine tree at the lake. I watched with my binos for a few minutes and soon the Osprey trying to perch there took off.
This is a big bird many see here and claim they saw an Eagle.
He eats fish, and dives into the water to get them. Watching him work is fun as he hovers and then dives.
Crows hate them and harass them relentlessly.

These are not my photos. I have some older ones, but none too good.

35 - Osprey

AgentOrange
12-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Sitting here waiting on the Alabama game to start and "Ocean Drive" flew into my cove. I call him that because a couple times as I have sat on the dock playing Beach Music, he came in and worked the cove. He is fairly tame and often sits on my boat or dock. He will show up and slowly walk the water's edge catching WTF? In a good spot he will stand motionless for a long time so the fish will swim by, then wham!

The Great Blue Heron is a large bird that wades and dives to catch food. They are just about everywhere in America. At my last home which was miles from a lake, they raided my garden pond. Here for some reason they never do, guess the feeding is too good in the lake.

Here is a photo from today, kinda far off on this cloudy, drizzly day but still OK:

36 - Great Blue Heron

AgentOrange
12-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Today at the feeder is a Field Sparrow. I generally have one, maybe two, in later Winter. They blend in with the Chipping Sparrows. They don't migrate, but I seldom see one in Sunmmer or even this early as the bushes are still full of seed.

This photo is in shadow and he looks a little washed out. Note the eye ring for ID on these tiny birds.

37 - Field Sparrow

AgentOrange
12-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Is anybody reading or maybe enjoying this thread? :emptiness:

AgentOrange
12-14-2014, 04:30 PM
37 - Field Sparrow

Here is a better photo of a field Sparrow I took last season. He is beside a Chipping Sparrow and a Cardinal for good reference. The Sparrows are quite different looking birds, but at my house eat in the same flock.

sundance
12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
yep....

TNRabbit R.I.P.
12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Is anybody reading or maybe enjoying this thread? :emptiness:

Both reading and enjoying.

TOAD
12-23-2014, 12:38 PM
AO sent my :cat::cat:cats a Christmas present for their participation in the YC Bird Watching Contest.

It came gift wrapped direct from Amazon. I don't know what is in it.
But it is big ( notice the yardstick in the photo ).

Amazon did a nice job of wrapping.
The cats can have the gift, but I am keeping the bag for myself.:hypnotysed:
The bag is kind of like a giant sized Crown Royal bag.

Odd turn around,:topsy_turvy: as usually I receive the gifts and the cats get to enjoy playing with the box and paper.

AgentOrange
12-23-2014, 04:22 PM
AO sent my :cat::cat:cats a Christmas present for their participation in the YC Bird Watching Contest.

Installation is required for that.
I'll come mount it for the cats if you provide cold, real beer.

AgentOrange
12-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh My!!! :adoration::adoration::adoration:

It is dark and rainy on the porch, so did not bring out my camera, but no matter.
I am noticeably missing some Winter friends that arrive in numbers.
- Yellow-rumped Warbler
- Song Sparrow
- and one of my favorite friends, the Pine Warbler.

Humming birds buzz and entertain here in the Cat Bird house during warmer times and are replaced by Pine Warblers in Winter. PWs are a constant and don't care who is about. They eat my suet mix and maybe some shelled sunflower. They love me. They don't "Winter" out in my yard, but right up here with me.:applause:

One just appeared. Ten would be better, but one is OK. Maybe tomorrow I will have 3.
This is a bird that I also see from time to time all year due to living near the Blue Ridge. Only the Winter migrants move in to keep me company every hour until the Humming Birds return.

They have several different looks, just like many birds. I'll get new photos and soon will recognize each on sight as all birds are different.

Here are a couple I took in other winters:

These guys have been on my mind everyday as I worried about wind turbines, etc.

38 - Pine Warbler

AgentOrange
01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
This was fun, at least for a few.
If there is interest, we could do it again covering April, May, June. The birds will be changing over then and that is very interesting as the old leave and the new arrive.

Being more vigilant many more could have been added, at least on my count:
mockingbird
catbird
different hawks
turkey buzzard
black buzzard
flicker
song sparrow
junco
yellow rumpled warbler
creeper
Red Kinglet
Brown thrasher
red-breasted nuthatch
--- others, many others are about.

It kinda pisses me off that I have no Song Sparrows and no Juncos which are normal staples of my winter garden. damn al gore.

Do I get any votes for a Spring contest?
Surely some of us learned something about WTF is in our yard, but there is a lot more going on.

Rorschach
01-02-2015, 04:30 PM
+ one vote

TOAD
01-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Dang! I was getting ready to beat you on this contest, but got distracted by the holidays and forgot to post my final sightings.:distracted:

I saw 14 different kinds of brown and black feathered birds.
Also there were 10 brownish / blackish kinds with some white on them, and a bunch with dabs of yellow and or goldish tint.
I even saw a few with black, brown, gold, orange and white.:indecisiveness:
I had flocks of geese, ducks, and long legged birds fly over.
I had one flock of a several hundred pass over so high they were just little black dots. ( I think they were yellow beaked split tail fly catchers.):sneakiness:

I'll get you this year!
I do enjoy looking at your post and photos.:adoration:

The first real cold weather of the year is moving south this week.:eek-new:
I hope all will put out some seed & suet, and break the ice on the watering hole for our feathered friends.:encouragement:

AgentOrange
01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Dang! I was getting ready to beat you on this contest, but got distracted by the holidays and forgot to post my final sightings.:distracted:

Me too. As soon as things calmed (and the contest was over) my Creeper and my Mockingbird arrived. That would have given me 40. 50 would not have been unexpected, but most all of mine were seen from my windows or sitting on my porch. The birds are here (and at your place).
The road side of my home has big Oak trees and along the lake is a bird magnet.