PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Critters

AgentOrange
07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
In 2001, I set up my aquarium filter.
(I mean the one in my new house. I have been keeping fish a long time as I find it very interesting. It is difficult. During Hurricane hugo I did not have power for 2 weeks. I kept my Discus tank wrapped in blankets and did water changes as possible. All survived (some needed me to trim on a fin here and there which is like cutting hair.) Fish can take a lot of abuse if they live in good water.)

Basically what I set up here was 3 Mag canister filters dumping filtered water into a rubbermaid tub with a lot of $$$ biological filter crap, the best I could find at the time.

I have a few of these Magnum filters and have worn out a few, don't see how or why any person would attempt keeping fish with out one:beguiled:. I would say it is the best investment most can make.

Now my Mag filters are mostly retired and run maybe for a couple weeks every few months as these filter to one micron which is incredible:ghost:.

In there place is a Fluval that pumps out 950 gallons an hour to the same rubbermaid tub that has not been touched since 2001.

This is a serious filter and big.

I am thinking an upgrade:encouragement::glee: as surely the rubbermaid tub needs to be replaced.

This Summer I added a huge Tetra 4000 canister filter to one of my ponds and I like it. It is big, too big for inside, but my aquarium filters sit silently in my "fish work room" out of sight, and water goes from and to my aquarium through the wall, so size will not be a problem.

Here is the deal, it is not how fast the water turns over (also important), but what happens to the water on the trip. To that end, you need the best as to media (the crap:hypnotysed: inside all filters).

There are many theories on what is best and of course there is no "one" best.

The deal with this Tetra filter is that the media is kept in motion. That is a rather new concept that makes sense to me. In a biological filter, the object is to grow bacteria and expose your water to it. In a moving bed, the bacteria is constantly being washed from the outside so young stronger bacteria can take the place of the expired. Inside old colonies keep churning out more bugs to eat the fish waste. In a normal filter things clog and water seeks a path away from it.

So, my big Fluval will handle the water first (really all that is needed) and send "filtered water" to the new "bug chamber" which is rated to handle a 4000 gallon Koi pond. That should do it :triumphant::triumphant::untroubled::untroubled:.
This will reduce my water flow, but I can add more flow as needed as I am "filter poor" having been in this hobby since 1970.

Any thoughts?