PDA

View Full Version : SC State Bird

AgentOrange
05-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Here is ours here in SC:

Carolina Wren eating from my feeder like some YC members have won from YC.

These may be the loudest birds in your yard. If you hear a jungle call, this is the tiny critter doing it.
They get quite tame. All day everyday they go into every nook looking for bugs and spiders, so they love our houses. They defend a territory.
They like people too and get very tame if you are outside a lot. Many times they have jumped on my leg in the CatBird house.

Cat caught one of mine a couple years back:dispirited:, but the other lured a mate in this year, and I have one new fledgling (that I have seen).
They don't eat at feeders much, but the one above likes freeze dried worms which he is eating in the photo and shelled sunflower. His main feeder food is my peanut suet mix.
It is easy to make this guy your favorite bird for many reasons.:eagerness::cool-new:

AgentOrange
05-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Here he is jumping over to the tray with peanut pieces. All birds seem to like these treats.
He can't crack seed as his bill is made to help us fight insects.
He does like his veggies if we crack them for him:

AgentOrange
05-29-2014, 03:03 PM
...and of course all us critters need something to wash the food down with.:surprise:

Lighting is off on that, but you get the idea - ?

All critters need lots of water. If you can't keep food out, at least put out some water.:watermelon:

AgentOrange
05-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Why is no one posting on threads I put up?

sundance
07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Seldom seen in the wild; but a 'humming mule?'

AgentOrange
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
That mule is like me, likes his sugar treats.
That is same feeder I recommended on another thread:surprise:.

Other critters will mess with them from time to time, but never had a mule at mine:eagerness::cool-new:.

AgentOrange
07-10-2014, 05:02 PM
South Carolina's first "State Bird".

Be thankful you'll never see this bird perched outside your window.

Researchers have uncovered the fossil of an extinct bird with a mouthful of tooth-like spikes and wings just smaller than a World War I fighter plane's. At 20 to 24 feet from wingtip to wingtip, the new species had the biggest wingspan of any known bird.
The bird "is more like a dragon out of the Game of Thrones show than anything alive today. It's spectacularly weird," says paleontologist Daniel Ksepka

Perhaps fittingly, the fossil was discovered at an airport in Charleston, S.C.

It could probably sustain speeds of 10 meters per second, matching Usain Bolt's speed in the 100-meter dash, Ksepka says.

"They lasted more than 50 million years. That's phenomenally successful," Ksepka says. "And then they died out before we got to see them."

Snoop65
07-10-2014, 06:59 PM
You made look up the New Jersey state bird. I thought it was a sparrow but its a American Goldfinch.2947
I've never seen this guy before but we'll be looking for him! ;)

AgentOrange
07-10-2014, 07:30 PM
You made look up the New Jersey state bird. I thought it was a sparrow but its a American Goldfinch.2947
I've never seen this guy before but we'll be looking for him! ;)

I have a million.
It is also the State Bird of your friend Jessie.

For you and me they are a year round bird. Over a year, they eat most of my food, more than any other bird. They like SunFlower and thistle, but will move down to what ever is available. It is rare to see one eating my suet. They are vegetarians.

One reason to feed the Finches (I also have House and Purple) is their activity attracts other birds, plus they are fun:tongue-new:. Few birds are as colorful. Unlike many birds, they are not territorial and like to be with their friends. If you have one, you will have many.
Try a thistle feeder if you have none now.

They are bright and beautiful in Summer and less bright in Winter. Each year they do a complete "molt" which is rare in birds. Here they mate in late Summer around September due to the abundance of wild seeds becoming available then.