PDA

View Full Version : Cats...I had no idea

shortcake
05-04-2014, 07:08 PM
I have been working on a project lately for an animal magazine and learned some interesting things about cats.

1. The shape of their food is important. Knowing which 'works' for your cat is by trial and error. Some call it being finicky, but with cats, different shapes of food are more comfortable and easier to chew than others, and it varies on the cat.

2. Cats should always be fed a mix of soft and hard food. Now I know my cats like when I give them the 'treat' of moist food, but I used to keep it as just a treat.

3. Tuna is not a good diet - okay, I knew that one. Chicken is, but not raw meat of any kind if a domesticated house cat. Once their system gets accustomed to 'pet' food, raw meat can cause more harm than not.

4. A cat reacts to the can opener because it sounds like a purr. Okay, this I knew as well.

5. Feed you cat at night to get to sleep at night, and play during the day - just like a baby.

6. Cats like to pee in a quiet but open location. Hiding your litter box could be the cause for accidents.

AgentOrange
05-17-2014, 08:07 PM
3. Tuna is not a good diet - okay, I knew that one. Chicken is, but not raw meat of any kind if a domesticated house cat. Once their system gets accustomed to 'pet' food, raw meat can cause more harm than not.

I don't believe all I read on the web, but do question all of it.
My cats share a small can of quality Tuna every night and have since I got them.
The Beagle waits for the can and anything they leave it.
They were at the vet recently and he clainms they are in excellent health.
I also have many cans of the best Tuna I can find in my "survival stash" as the shelf life is long and the food value is high.

shortcake
05-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Tuna is not a good diet on its own. I do give my cats the juice when I make tune for myself, and occasionally a can, but cat food moist and wet is what they eat regularly.

My dog eatcs everything - including cat food if I let him, but he is quicker to let me know it did not agree. Worse gas in the house.

AgentOrange
06-15-2014, 02:52 AM
I try to keep my place "natural" even as I constantly add many new plants.

I think of myself as a gardener even as others do not. I took classes at Clemson and watched a million TV shows.

My neighbors like lawns and I don't own a mower. That causes friction:hopelessness:.

I am not "natural" as I have many times more different plants than any of my neighbors.
I don't just plant box wood or WTF but try to grow things from around the world. I often fail.

All the neighbors and even visitors to my place see is a need to make this area neat. They don't see the 'garden' that is my place:confused:. Some day some one will show and see it. More likely I will die and the next occupant will level the plants and trees and put in a lawn:livid:.

Neat is not natural. Plants in a natural state and not carved to a "form" interest me more.

I suspect I have more different plants that all in my neighborhood combined and then some.

They see many SC plants that have thrived here for centuries as weeds.

I like their yards of constantly mowed grass, but I like my area also.
I do find their yards dull and mine exciting, but I don't garden for the drive by traffic.

AgentOrange
06-21-2014, 01:23 PM