PDA

View Full Version : Spring Peepers and Hawk/Owl mating season

SteveLeopard
01-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Listen for the spring peepers and the apex predator birds mating season. They have to start earlier than most birds.

AgentOrange
01-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Listen for the spring peepers and the apex predator birds mating season. They have to start earlier than most birds.

Thanks. but need more info.
A Cooper is guarding the ground below my feeders.
My cats are also and may be saving lives.

I understand raptors need to kill to survive, but prefer they do it when I am not watching - like how we get bacon and hamburgers.

SteveLeopard
01-31-2014, 10:35 AM
AO, it takes birds of prey longer to hatch and mature. They have to time the most abundance of small critters at the same time the young predators fledge. this gives them the best chance of survival. Where others birds survive by sheer numbers and multiple nestings in one season, raptors and the like put all their focus on a couple of chicks.

for Spring Peepers they lay their eggs in seasonal pools of rainwater. This way the fish and mosquito/dragonfly larvae dontat them.

AgentOrange
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
AO, it takes birds of prey longer to hatch and mature. They have to time the most abundance of small critters at the same time the young predators fledge. this gives them the best chance of survival. Where others birds survive by sheer numbers and multiple nestings in one season, raptors and the like put all their focus on a couple of chicks.

for Spring Peepers they lay their eggs in seasonal pools of rainwater. This way the fish and mosquito/dragonfly larvae dontat them.

I know.
Dr Larry Barden explained it to me more than once. I respect you Steve and Larry as yall know a lot and both of you have beat me in foot races.

I have built a bait station here for Hawks, but it was not my goal.

Actually I built a station to feed birds so I can watch them.
I have maintained a couple dozen feeders with a variety of foods for years.

I don't grow birds to feed Hawks.

As we know, birds don't need us to survive, so the Hawks don't need me.

Keeping the Hawks at bay is a problem.