PDA

View Full Version : Impatiens

AgentOrange
06-29-2013, 02:17 PM
I needed some, but too late. I found none for sale.:stung:

Impatiens are one of the best buys in a plant, They cost little, work hard and flower until frost. They come in many colors and I like them.:smile-new: They require shade which my yard is in Summer, not in Winter.

The problem is the stores put them out way too early. To plant them, you have to rip out your Pansies which are just coming into glory in Spring.

Here on TV we get a great weekly garden show from NCState. I learned this week that this year's Impatiens had a soil virus. If you bought and planted them you are fucked as it stays in your soil. Nurseries have pulled them from the market. Too late for many, but I WIN!!!

Impatiens grow easily from seed and while an annual, I have found if let go to seed, and the bed is not disturbed, they will pop up on their own.
My main annual bed is where I put in the new Branch water stream. Calediums, Hostas, and Yew are adding color. I have in a few Begonias. My green and black Elephant ears are up.

Now that I have cut a few trees, the Sun is coming in, so will this still be a "shade bed"?:onthego:

To that end, added some New Guinea Impatiens as they like Sun. They are not really like our common Impatient as they like SUN. Truth be told, I have found that many shade plants do OK with some Sun if kept wet. In the pond that is easy, but in the ground that adds to the work and cost.

Today my garden crap is looking really good. I am on the deck with cold beer and the Ink Spots are playing way too loud.:applause:

TNRabbit R.I.P.
06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Sounds nice; wish I was there enjoying the day with you~