PDA

View Full Version : Bird feeder attacked by Critter

AgentOrange
06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
It seemed another Raccoon had showed up on the deck to eat at my feeders. One feeder on the end came down from the weight.
I like raccoons, maybe the cutest animal ever, but for many reasons, have to catch and move them when they find me. They have a higher rate of rabies virus and are big enough to injure my dogs who feel a need to run them from "our" yard.

I put out my trap and the next morning just before daylight, found it shut with no critter inside - failure on the first day:calm:. As my best friend and I checked it just before daylight, Rosey went crazy, ran into the CatBird extension and onto our chair raising hell. Her nose is amazing!!

Here is what she discovered:

I have never had an Opossum up on the deck. I have often seen them in the yard after dark drinking from the pond.
I like possums. The only thing bad they do in your yard is nothing, and they do a lot of good. They are not prone to rabies or even ticks.

Still, can't have this guy on the deck tearing up my bird feeders so I will have to move him.
I hate that.

Douglas
06-15-2013, 11:29 PM
We had a possum that would come on the deck at night, climb up on the picnic table and lick the drip pan to the grill. He'd come every night to check if I'd grilled that evening. We have an outdoor cat who has adopted us now, so I think he stays away. Have not seen him in awhile.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
06-16-2013, 12:01 AM
One of nature's ugliest creatures....

I saw one crawling out of the ass of a dead cow one time. Can't believe anyone would EAT one.....

kingman R.I.P.
06-16-2013, 07:23 AM

I saw one crawling out of the ass of a dead cow one time. Can't believe anyone would EAT one.....
Woah!!!!

jjptkd
06-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Over the past few years have had a couple crawl under the house and die, stink up the whole place. Found another one just a couple months back in front of my car in the middle of the day all sick like with no visible wounds, think a neighbor might be poisoning them? Luckily none of the cats have found their into any if that's what's going on.

AgentOrange
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM

I don't think they are ugly. I bet you have eaten a little cow ass in your day.:glee:

On the end of my porch I have a few large Sun Flower feeders. They extend off a 4X4. Most of my food goes through them and mostly eaten by Finches. The shells fall out of sight behind a large Arborvitae.

The critter had crawled out there and his weight had bent one and ripped another hanger loose from the wood and it crashed to the ground.
I was shocked to see the Possum instead of a big Raccoon. How could a possum do that?

Last night, I caught the critter. It was a fat, heavy, very angry Raccoon. That makes sense. Now my brain is reset. Actually, as Rosey pointed out later, there are two of them. Maybe tonight I get the other one.

Corky
06-18-2013, 11:34 PM
We caught a skunk on the front porch and our cat , teee

We caught a skunk on the front porch drinking water from the critters bowl and she got our cat, Teddy sprayed right between the eyes.....He had to have 3 baths and still could smell my cat....It is better now.....We also had a 6 foot rat snake come up on the front porch and nipped poor kitty right on his beauteous tail. But it is much better know and the snake is back in the field as happy as a Lark.

AgentOrange
06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
I keep a few large cans of tomato juice on hands for washing my dog after skunks. As Toad pointed out to me, they are poor climbers. I keep my trap where they can't get to it.
Myth Busters did a show on it once, sprayed a bathroom and then tried to clean it.

I caught the other coon. Now both are reunited at the lake park miles away.

AgentOrange
07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Caught two more coons. I hope this is the last one. I have to get up at day light to transport the critters, and I am not an early riser. I take them over to a park on the lake a few miles away.

AgentOrange
08-08-2013, 04:03 PM
I have moved 12 now, and there is at least one more.
How does this happen? After months of no raccoons, an entire herd moved into my yard?

SteveK
08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Maybe they keep coming back. Relocating a 'few' miles away might not be far enough.
Steve

AgentOrange
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Maybe they keep coming back. Relocating a 'few' miles away might not be far enough.
Steve

No, I name them before release.:disturbed:

Actually these are very smart critters. No way you could catch one again if released. I took pity on a really young one a few years back and it drove me near crazy trying to round him up a second time.

Snoop65
08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
They love your music Bill! ;)

Chuck Farley
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
You should have had a camera. That would have made a good picture.

AgentOrange
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm still catching them, got one (hopefully the last one) last night.
Here is a fun photo from a couple days ago.
There are 5 small ones in here. Somehow they all got in before the door closed.
I got Mama a short while later.