PDA

View Full Version : Water =s Lush Gardens

AgentOrange
06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
No one here much cares about rainfall at my place, but WTF? No one else is posting today.

Times change.
Last year the Lake was about 9 foot below full pond. That was due mostly to inept water control measures used by the Army Corps who control things. They claim their hands are tied to an out of date policy.

Today the Lake is a foot over full. Rain has been good for the last few months. Normal rain here is bout +/- 5 inches a month. Even if the drought returns, the Lake should be normal all Summer. That pumps a lot of money into this area. It has a 950 mile shore line.

Here is the current official rain graph and lake levels from Lake Hartwell Army Corps.
http://water.sas.usace.army.mil/cf/KavaPlot/ComboPlot.cfm?project=Hartwell

This is an excellent area to retire to if you like no traffic and no anything but critters. It is between Charlotte and Atlanta, so driving to the big city lights is easy and quick;). I bought here years before I retired and made payments on the lot for ten years. Some friends laughed at me and my old truck. When I retired, it was mine. Plan early.

My yard has actually been getting more rain than the lake at large. Also, as a general rule, more rain falls below Lake Hartwell in the Midlands than in the SC Upstate due to the Blue Ridge Mountains forming a barrier to the west. Most weather here follows the Gulf Stream through Memphis, slides South as it hits the mountains and goes into Alabama then up through Atlanta to me. At times like this week, we get weather off the Florida coasts when a storm front pushes in from Cuba. We got near 3 inches the last couple days.

Lake Hartwell is in a chain of dams that control water flow to the Savannah River basin, and politics is the Gorilla in the room. There is a tiny 'snail darter' down stream and it costs us millions due to law suits by you left wing nuts.

Already the country is full of court battles over water and this will just intensify. There is not enough to go around. Plenty of it at my house.

elgrau
06-07-2013, 08:20 PM
How in general is the soil in your area for veggi gardening, AO? Main reason I have not yet retired is that I just can't figure out where to go (I know; you all can tell me that...:biggrin-new:). I've visited N.C. and I loved the calm, warm summer evenings there (near PineHearst).

Also (unrelated), do you do any weather treating on your outdoor speakers? I have the "spare" set of round speakers and was toying with the idea of "weatherizing" them and hanging them out on my patio and getting an "A/B" speaker switch and power them via my living room 300x2 (when not using it for the speakers there...).

Thanks, Ed