PDA

View Full Version : Need help with yellow jackets

TOAD
05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I am having a problem with yellow jackets, I think they were first attracted to the new hummingbird feeders the wife bought. ( no bee guards)

If I could find the nest I would take care of them without any problems.
( I am not allergic and am not afraid to get stung a few times.)
I even watched a NatGeo. special where they showed how to track them by placing small pieces of chicken salad on the ground and plotting out their flight paths.
But I am having no luck at this.
I have bought several types of traps from Home Depot but they don't work.

I seem to remember a Yardcrap post on this but couldn't find it.

Any Ideas?

AgentOrange
05-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Yes ----
They have two attack seasons. In Spring they prefer meat. In Summer sweets. I make traps with tuna fish and sugar, plus poison. You don't want to kill or trap them, but give them bait to take back to the nest. I have had mine out for a month and need to refresh them, thanks for the reminder.

Here are some old posts:

http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/2010/04/yellow-jacket.html

http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.php?662-FUCK&highlight=yellow+jackets

This really does work and will clear your area of nests. I sit on the porch and drink beer. I keep a bottle of alcohol with a spray top for the strays -- excellent defense.

AgentOrange
05-20-2013, 11:48 PM

I have had my bait stations out for a couple months and have seen none so far. Traps catch them, but more just show up. Basically trapping does not work. I sit outside and drink beer which really calls to them, not to mention the several Hummingbird feeders I keep out. For the past years since using Fipronil mixed in tuna, the problem has really been lessened and my porch is mostly free of them.

Here is an excellent article I ran across that is a must read if you have a problem. I have been using milk jugs with two sides cut out, but I think I will build a couple of the stations pictured here.

You can get Fipronil from Frontline dog flea products, or for about $60 get a lifetime supply on ebay. This really does work.

http://www.pestboard.ca.gov/howdoi/research/2009_yellowjacket.pdf

sundance
06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
The "Yellow Jackets" from Georgia Tech may also be a problem for you....:tears_of_joy:
A couple of good defensive linemen may help.....:cupcake:

AgentOrange
06-02-2013, 04:24 PM
The "Yellow Jackets" from Georgia Tech may also be a problem for you....:tears_of_joy:
A couple of good defensive linemen may help.....:cupcake:

That is the truth, still, ours are a step up from the ones UNC fielded last year.

Here is a post on on my old blog covering YJ:
[/URL][URL]http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/2010/04/yellow-jacket.html?cid=6a00e5528fe16988340133ecfd3465970b #comment-6a00e5528fe16988340133ecfd3465970b (http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/2010/04/yellow-jacket.html?cid=6a00e5528fe16988340133ecfd3465970b #comment-6a00e5528fe16988340133ecfd3465970b)

Good to see those pics again. Georgia does have some beautiful peaches.

AgentOrange
03-28-2014, 12:48 PM
It is time to get your yellow jacket bait out.
I had none last year as I drink beer on the porch. A pleasnt experience after years of fighting them from my glass and my Humming Bird feeders.
Re-read the above posts.

TOAD
03-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Not only the first Hummingbird of the year made an appearance today.
But also the first yellow jackets or maybe hornets ( big suckers).

I was plagued with them all last year. I destroyed two colonies and received numerous stings both times.
First time was not too bad, the second instance my hand swelled up like a balloon

One nest I never managed to kill off as it was underground underneath a bunch of hedge and yard clipping that I had piled up at the edge of my property over the years.
But one night some type critter came out of the woods and dug them all up and ate them.:applouse: I have no idea what it was.

I just ordered some of this fipronil you recommend from Amazon. So I should have some bait stations up by next week.
Btw, I don't think you should use sugar as bait. The poor honeybees are already having a hard time of it.:bee:

AgentOrange
03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Btw, I don't think you should use sugar as bait. The poor honeybees are already having a hard time of it.:bee:

Now I feel really bad -- not !!!:disturbed:

I have many HBs as I have many flowering plants and some fruit trees. You have been here, I don't have a lawn.
I choose plants that are critter friendly.

HBs don't really go for sugar so much, never hit my HB feeders.

Many wasps/hornets do. I hate to kill mine off, but ??

Your hand swells and that must be unpleasant.
My lungs fill with fluid, my throat swells and I die:unconscious:.
Not quite the same thing.

Maybe all you need is a fly swatter.

TOAD
04-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Over the weekend I produced 4 yellow jacket bait boxes to place around my yard.

I used a 1"x 8" board cut into squares, 1/2" x 1 ' rabbit wire, a fancy feast cat food can, and a few small eye bolts.

I manufactured them to be critter proof.
I also plan to hang them so they are accessible to flying creatures only.
The center piece is one of those small cat food cans painted bright orange and glued in place with liquid Nails.
It is located far enough from the sides to be out of reach from anything that can't fly in through the 1/2" x 1" wire mesh, and designed so that I can reload the bait from the bottom as needed.

The bottle of TAURUS SC ( Fipronil 9.1 %) that I ordered from Amazon did not come with instructions for yellow jacket control.

So I need to know how you apply yours.

I was planning to put some fish flavored cat food into the middle fixed empty can.
What I need to know is should I dilute the poison or just add a small amount and stir it up? :indecisiveness:

After all the plan is that the yellow jackets to live long enough to carry the bait back to the nest, not for them to drop dead in the bait box. :concern:

AgentOrange
04-14-2014, 01:49 PM
The ones I built a couple years ago look sorta like yours. I put a swing door at one end that locks down to keep critters out.

A few drops go a long way. A bottle will last forever.
One 20 oz. bottle of Taurus SC will make 25 gallons

I put a few drops into some tuna and stir in some sugar.
This time of year they are looking for meat to haul to the nest.

In Summer they seem to just hunt for sugar, so then I use two of the cans you have there, one with tuna and one with ripened banana with sugar stirred in.

It will dry out, so replace or add some beer in from time to time. What you want is something solid for them to land on, not soup.

I also use that on my deck to spray places like the underside of my chair to keep spiders at bay.
It is good stuff.

AgentOrange
02-20-2016, 04:37 PM
It is about time to stock up the YJ boxes. If you put out bait in early Spring you get them before the nests can build and spread. Don't wait until you have a problem.

I find in Spring a little tuna fish works well. I mix in a little sugar.
Just happen to think about it as today I remembered to pick up some yellow paint to freshen mine up.

This solution really does work.

BradF
09-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Hello all, new guy here. I joined after find this thread about the Taurus SC as yellow jacket pesticide. Last year I was able to buy a kit that contained the Fipronil and it was really effective. I tried to reorder and that company had disappeared. My search for a source lead me here.

Anyway, I am assuming. (but I also know what assume stands for :-)) ... that the correct dose of Taurus SC for the bee bait is like 4 drops of the mixed Tauurus SC per teaspoon of the chicken/tuna/whatever bait. Mixed meaning not full strength like out of the bottle but at the rate the manufacturer has in the instructions to make the 20 oz into 25 gallons. Is that correct? It would appear so from the previous posts but was not stated as a fact.

Thanks for any insight as I battle these fall Yellow jackets that are really aggressive with fall weather coming on.

AgentOrange
09-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Hello all, new guy here. I joined after find this thread about the Taurus SC as yellow jacket pesticide. Last year I was able to buy a kit that contained the Fipronil and it was really effective. I tried to reorder and that company had disappeared. My search for a source lead me here.

Anyway, I am assuming. (but I also know what assume stands for :-)) ... that the correct dose of Taurus SC for the bee bait is like 4 drops of the mixed Tauurus SC per teaspoon of the chicken/tuna/whatever bait. Mixed meaning not full strength like out of the bottle but at the rate the manufacturer has in the instructions to make the 20 oz into 25 gallons. Is that correct? It would appear so from the previous posts but was not stated as a fact.

Thanks for any insight as I battle these fall Yellow jackets that are really aggressive with fall weather coming on.

I don't know as to drops per bait (don't care).

The stuff is available on ebay for about $40 for a lifetime supply.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Tauurus%20SC&clk_rvr_id=1086401025919&mfe=search

Termidor SC is another one.

My experience is that the best approach is to get it out in late Winter in things like tuna as they are into meat then.
Other times, more sugar is prefered. I do the same mix all year as I am lazy. I mix lots of sugar into some tuna and dump in some poison. I don't measure. I use the cans that the tuna or cat food comes in for the bait stations as that is convenient. I don't worry unless I see one of the jackets, then check my bait stations as they do dry out.

I find if you get it out early and update a couple times over Summer, that is enough. The goal is not to kill them at the bait station, but to kill off nearby nests. It is working well for me. I am allergic and don't want to be killed off by a bug.

I sit on the porch (like now) and drink beer which is a beacon to them. Over the last few years my population has gone from thousands to rare. It does work.

BradF, Welcome to the YC Forum.
:BRAVO
My understanding is you are a hunter. We could all use more info on that and guns. (at least I could:tongue-new:).

Join in on all topics.

AgentOrange
09-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Yellow Jacket was chasing me (and my beer) after the race this week.
Mike said he has a problem at his house, and I told him I would "bump" this post up.

This really does work.

TOAD
09-07-2017, 06:28 PM
While fipronil is used mainly for termite control I have found it to be effective against most pest. It works on spiders as well as yellow jackets and absolutely destroys fire ant mounds.
I usually mix up a batch and spray all around the outside of my house (the outside foundation and door and window openings ) once in the spring and again in the fall and have had zero bug problems. Before I started this program it seemed we would get sugar ants or the odd palmetto bug that would try to move in out of the cold. Not anymore, and while it might seem a little expensive a bottle of it will go a long way (= years ).

AgentOrange
07-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Bumping this thread back up for Chuck's Bride who got hit.

This really does work, I (and Toad) have used it now for years with 100% success.
It will knock out all Yellow Jackets near your yard if you do as I stated early in the thread.
It is cheap and effective.

AgentOrange
07-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Toad made his like this:

Being lazy, I just put a swinging door on one end and add a small can of cat food mixed with sugar.

AgentOrange
09-15-2021, 05:36 PM
As a public service, am bumping this thread back up. One of my high school friends (Frances Ann) just got stung a lot.

This works. Years later I can 100% say this works.