PDA

View Full Version : Castor Bean

TOAD
04-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Ricinus communis
http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/2007/03/p_BHG121348.jpg
Plant a castor bean and then stand back. This is one of the fastest-growing, giant annuals in the garden, rivaled only perhaps by giant sunflower. By midsummer, you'll have a huge (it can hit up to 20 feet) tropical plant sporting burgundy foliage.
It's a great plant to grow with kids. Be careful, though. The seeds are extremely toxic. ( WTF )
Wait to plant it outdoors after all danger of frost has passed; castor bean hates cool weather and won't grow well until temperatures heat up in summer.
Light:SunPlant Type:AnnualPlant Height:3-20 feet tall, depending in typePlant Width:3-6 feet wide, depending on typeLandscape Uses:Beds & Borders,PrivacySpecial Features:Attractive Foliage,Fall Color,Tolerates Wet Soil,Deer Resistant,Easy to GrowPlant

Got this from Home & Garden
Ps " Do not eat the beans "

TNRabbit R.I.P.
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Looks like what we used to call "Mole Bean"

elgrau
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
You do know that ALL internet traffic is monitored, Toad? :nevreness:
You probably just made some computer generated list by having those words in your post...
No big deal, but that guy who was arrested on charges related to this plant and held for x number of days was totally innocent of the very serious charges brought on him. If he'd resisted his (false) arrest in any way, he'd probably be dead now and the government would be like "oh well, sorry, we had good reason...." blah, blah, blah). Dangerous times we live in...

sundance
04-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Elgrau, I guess then that you will NOT take the opportunity on this forum to vehemently deny any involvement in the Loomis-Fargo Robbery and that you 'absolutely' had no 'involvement whatsoever' in the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa.:unconscious:
Personally, I will unequivocally admit that in 1985 or was in 1986, I 'may have' driven a vehicle after having consumed an excessive amount of a malted beverage.
But I could not find anyone that would administer an analysis of my breath to determine the exact level and faced with the dilemma of walking home or driving home; I elected to drive home.
Man, I feel better now.:beguiled:

AgentOrange
04-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I used to grow those. They are annual in most zones so you harvest the seed (bean) .

I stopped when I read they were toxic to critters.
Now I have learned that many plants we all have in the yard are toxic so WTF?

I switched to Elephant ears and you don't have to replant them in zones 7 and higher.