PDA

View Full Version : Temp and the Garden

AgentOrange
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Spring Temps

Today it is 77, the high so far in 2013 was 82.8 on April 10th.
I suspect we will break that this week.:encouragement:

People like to say it aint the heat but the humidity. It is both. Humidity today is a low 59%. The body cools by evaporation of sweat. As humidity rises, evaporation is less, and that is where humidity counts. Personally, I love hot humid days.:hypnotysed:

The lake temp was 65 yesterday. That is about two foot down where my fish finder sensor is. The lake in Winter gets down to about 50, so the fish love this and are eating everything. I have not seen a striper yet. I should be out now, but I am just too damn tired after a hard morning.

The temp in my Turtle pond is 64.4. It is 4000 gallons and 40 inches deep. In Summer this pond will get hotter than the Lake, but not by much as it is shaded. The critters in it will be happy.
The temp in my new Branch pond is 75.0. It is 125 gallons and 18 inches deep. The long water flow in full Sun is warming it up. Shade will over take this pond soon, but I suspect it will get quite hot this Summer. The only thing in it will be plants and a few tadpoles, so hot will be OK.
1403The bushy green on the rear and side are Snap Dragons that have spread over Winter will be flowering soon and into July. This will be my first year of Summer planting here. I am thinking Caladiums and Begonias. I want to keep plantings sparse and separated.

Water plants tend to like heat and full Sun. In my yard they get shade, but I have discovered a few that go well there. Here is a photo of the big pond. The islands are full of grass and Chick weed from Winter Sun. That will die back, and I will put in annual shade plants. It has Sun in Winter and not much in Summer.

All around the yard, temps vary just like in the water areas. One place the ground is warm, another cool. Every yard has many different environments. It is a good idea to plant things accordingly. Don't just read the label. Google the plant. A plant's survival range and it's thrive range can be very different. We want the things we pay money for to thrive.