PDA

View Full Version : Pine Warbler

AgentOrange
12-31-2011, 10:56 AM
My favorite Winter bird is the Pine Warbler. That is mainly due to the fact that they jump around constantly near my chair eating suet. They get quite tame and land on the chair and even my leg. So far this winter, only one has migrated in. I am worried.2

simpleman
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Back in Michigan mine was the Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

AgentOrange
12-31-2011, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=simpleman;56]Back in Michigan mine was the Rose Breasted Grosbeak.
9[/

QUOTE]

Excellent photo. A foot racer friend suggested I give bird watching a try. He was tough SOB, so I did.
I came home one day and on my only feeder was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I thought all bird were Robins or sparrows. I had bought the book he recommended, but could not find the bird in it.

In a panic, called him. For most, calling a professor at a university (Doctor) is not an option.
He listened and told me to check the cover of my "Peterson" and there it was.
They migrate through here Spring and Fall and I now watch for them.

I hope to soon have the Professor in charge of "Birding" here.

It is funny as he is spending the month in Oregon right now visiting his kid and grand kids. You should invite him over.

Rorschach
12-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Birds are cool.

AgentOrange
01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I like to play tunes, sit on my ass and watch the birds that visit my deck. My backyard bird count is way over a hundred, and I have photos of most to prove it. I keep logs on line and in a book.

Different seasons bring different birds. For ten years one constant thing has been that in Summer on the deck, many Hummingbirds will entertain. They leave and Pine Warblers migrate in and do the same.

They act the same as they attack the feeders. They both become used to me and Rosey. They like good music. We like them -> a lot!

This Winter instead of "many" Pine Warblers, I have one. One Pine warbler is not natural.
I suspect my flock was migrating here and ran into one of Al Gore's wind mill farms that kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year and need taxpayer money to exist as they are crap and cannot make it in the free market.

Al Gore is killing my birds off, using my tax money to do it, and I am pissed.

simpleman
01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
It's not nice to bitch about the Rabbits cousin like that.:biggrin-new:

TNRabbit R.I.P.
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
It's not nice to bitch about the Rabbits cousin like that.:biggrin-new:

It's OK; I bitch about his lame ass, too....

kingman R.I.P.
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
87Boston shooter........

AgentOrange
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
87Boston shooter........

I am too dumb to see the mix here, but don't care as Larry Bird is the Man. I even bought a video about him.
His might have been the last "fun" generation of college basketball.

I got to see him play "live" twice as a pro.

Larry Bird was a tall guy (like most there) who just refused to loose.

kingman R.I.P.
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Big Breasted Wobbler.....88

AgentOrange
01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
INVITE ME OVER.

I DON'T HAVE A SIGHTING OF THAT BIRD.

simpleman
01-13-2012, 11:48 PM
That bird needs its wings clipped !

kingman R.I.P.
01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
That bird is my housekeeper!!!! :cheerful:........................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..................................NOT!!!!

AgentOrange
01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Just had a Yellow Warbler at the pond. First one I have seen this year. In Matthews I had one who was a constant on the suet tree, but after ten years here, have not been able to lure one to my feeders. The same is true for Mockingbirds.

All I can figure is that there in a neighborhood food was scarce, and here better stuff can be found than what I offer up.

SteveLeopard
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
This is one of my favorite places to bird. My theory is you go to the same places over and over again. You learn the land and then have the ability to know wwhat species might be there. Mason Farm, Carrot Island near Beaufort NC and my yard re the places I go. http://ncbg.unc.edu/mason-farm-biological-reserve/

AgentOrange
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
I agree Steve. Birding is fun, and the better you know the place, the more things you see. My favorite place is also MY yard. I know it well.

Another favorite place is Huntington Beach State Park just South of Myrtle. I can camp there a few days, and it gets better everyday as I fit in. Another plus there is in a few scattered places are logs where people note what they are seeing. It really makes it fun to know what to look for as I am not up on shore birds and that helps me ID.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
02-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Bill, did you ever get any more Pine Warblers?

AgentOrange
02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Bill, did you ever get any more Pine Warblers?

Damned - you are a friend.
Birds are a big part of my life and thanks for noticing.

I just have two. They hit the peanut butter cup cakes I made for them every couple of minutes and could care less about me and Rosey sitting inches away.
Maybe they will fly north in Summer, breed well (as I am feeding them well to make them strong) and with luck, they and their kids will join me next Winter.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Any ideas why so few? Killed by electrical turbine windmills? Virus? Unnaturally large number of predators?

AgentOrange
02-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Any ideas why so few? Killed by electrical turbine windmills? Virus? Unnaturally large number of predators?

They been coming here for a thousand years and now these things kill birds by the hundreds of thousands and maybe millions.'
I hate those things.

TNRabbit R.I.P.
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I've heard they are decimating bat populations, too.